Fate's Arrow

The Bulgy Bear sat forlornly with his back against the well in the compound's grounds; his paws and feet were chained, but even if they weren't he was held hostage by the threat to his 23 surviving men.

The enemy were splitting their forces and he was hearing and seeing their plans and farewells - it didn't matter. They knew he was helpless and had already told him how things were to play out. Bulgy would accompany them and Ketterley on the train to Cair Paravel and should he attempt to alert the authorities, a simple communication back to the ones who remained here would result in the execution of the troops under his command.

Once again, like so many times in his life, the Bulgy Bear felt like the helpless victim of fate. He had just been reminded of his one true love and their discussions of what Boo called Fate's Arrow.

The triggering incident was when a large troll had scooped up a massive duck or goose ... massive compared to normal ducks or geese (and glowing gold to boot) but tiny In comparison to the troll who had cuddled the squirming creature while shouting out, 'Styrr will miss apple!'

He hadn't caught the rest of the exchange, as the panicked golden goose had screamed, 'Get off me you oversize freak! Hare!! Help!!'

The tall skinny rabbit man had sprinted over, only to be blocked by the second troll, who had, out of Bulgy's hearing, declared, 'Hare will stop. Not to inta ... inter fear while Styrr says bye bye to friend he come fond of. Leave apple and Styrr alone.'

The Hare had relaxed when he saw that the Golden Goose wasn't under threat as Styrr continued to cuddle him, while crying and telling 'the apple' how he would miss him. Presently the troll released his grip and the goose raced away as fast as his little legs could carry him.

Bulgy didn't hear the words, but it triggered a memory of him stealing a cuddle from the tiny Bear that he loved.

Bulgy thought on that love. He had denied the feelings that had grown inside him for many decades ... filthy unnatural urges according to the church. He had disciplined the sickness within by fasting and self flagellation and never acted upon his unholy feelings until last year, when he had met Boo, who had arrived with the diplomatic party from the Domain. After all the Aslanist State taught it's citizens that homosexuality was the gravest of sins and it was punishable by death.

Fate's Arrow was a philosophy the small bear had taught him. Whatever will be, will be, but change can be brought about by the instruments of fate and Boo truly believed that now that Narnia was opening itself up to the outside world, reform would come.

The Bulgy Bear was a loyalist but deep within he harbored hope for his nation ... that creatures like himself could one day live and love openly. Part of him was noting the plans of these interlopers to report on them at a later opportunity, but he had to admit that some part of his inner being was interested in their talk of revolution. Could these be the harbingers of change?

He reviewed what he had heard. The one known as The Glass Cat seemed to be in charge, aided and abetted by the old human and the larger, perpetually grinning cat.

The Glass Cat had told the Asgardian God ... Vali was it? He and his trolls were to stay here with the black dwarves and the traitor cat known as Ginger and some others. Where they were heading, was no place for Gods or those from the realms of the Gods. Something about a Vault of Myth and it being specially set up to defend against breach by Gods and inhabitants of the Godly spheres.

He had said that the task would be undertaken by 'The Hare's Eleven.'

There had been a discussion and debate of sorts as a redheaded woman and a small cat who were apparently not among the cited Eleven, had argued or in the case of the cat, simply asked, to be allowed to carry on to Cair Paravel. The Hare had kicked up a fuss, saying they could do what they wanted to him, but he wouldn't play ball if he was separated from his woman. The fox man had taken the Hare's part and the man ... Moriarty, had told the blue glass cat that he saw no reason why Miss Bunny and Griffin could not continue on.

Then there had been an emotional farewell between the ginger cat from Narnia and the other one, supposedly from the mortal realm - this did surprise Bulgy!

The duo had stood on their hind legs and began waving their paws around in something the speaking cat had referred to as 'sign language.' Then the two had embraced.

So their forces had been split, with a contingent heading to the capital. The others were to stay here for ten days and then release the prisoners. By then, the Glass Cat had said, it won't matter anymore! Bulgy felt a thrill go through him at those words, but of fear or hope, he didn't know.

The same thrill repeated when he heard the cat say that after the ten days they were to march to the coast, seize the vessel 'The Dawn Treader,' and split again. Narnians to join other pockets of the emerging army of resistance while God and trolls were to make their way abroad to the land of Ix, which he had heard was part of the Greater Ozian Sphere. They were to join some others by the names of Loki and Eris, there.

Then it was time to go and Bulgy was released from his chains and propelled forward along with Professor Andrew Ketterley. Fate's Arrow was directing events and as of yet the Bulgy Bear didn't know whether he would help or impede these events if given an opportunity. But as always the image of Boo Boo entered his mind and the thought of repression and injustice threatened to break through his long ingrained shell of faith!