Character Profiles: Convention of Cats (6-10)

Tom - Thomas 'Tom' Cat is a grey anthropomorphic tuxedo cat or upright, though he doesn't wear clothes and looks more catlike than humanoid. His belly is a lighter grey and his paws, lower face and the tip of his tail are white. He has green pupils on yellow eyes. 

At the convention of cats he is revealed as suffering from severe OCD and requests that the Hungry Tiger be moved from a chair away from the buffet. He only appears briefly but a file on him compiled for the Glass Cat (information not revealed in the main story) reveals a few facts about him.

In his pre Mythlands life he was plagued by a mouse called Terry or maybe Perry. Since moving to the Mythlands Tom has entered counselling and by combination of mutual agreement and a court ordered writ, the mouse has agreed to live at least 100 miles away from Tom, dwelling in Domain City while Tom makes his residence in the Loonytown suburbs of Myth Vegas.

Tom is most proud of his cinematic accomplishments and likes to tell people he made his big screen debut in a 1940 feature called 'Puss gets the Boot.' 

The Hungry Tiger - Appearing as an unnamed character in Frank L. Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (published by the George M. Hill Company In 1900), the Tiger was given a name and an expanded character and story in the third Oz book - Ozma of Oz (1907).

He is among the largest of the tigers of Oz but his friendly nature belies his appearance - a close friend of the Cowardly Lion and part of the Ozian inner circle, the appearance of the Hungry Tiger at the Convention of Cats prompted much speculation that he was going to defect and that this was an indication that even Ozma's closest allies were disillusioned with her and that revolution was imminent. The Tiger was more interested in the buffet!

A pleasant big cat, he is characterized by his enormous appetite and strong moral centre, which refused to give in to cravings to eat humans and other talking creatures.

Following the convention, the Tiger took a detour to visit Domain City on his journey back to Oz. While at his hotel he encountered the mysterious black cat known as SC who persuaded him to take his return flight the night before he intended to depart.

Although curious, The Hungry Tiger agreed and joined SC on what turned out to be the last flight out of Domain City before an authoritarian coup by the 'private security firm' known as The Zodiac. In the wake of reported terrorist activity by the Glass Cat, the Zodiac had ordered the arrest of all felines including big cats and had incited mob hostility towards cats. The Oz Airways flight was ordered to return to DC and hand over all cats on board, but the pilot refused and continued towards Oz.

SC later turned up in Narnia but it is presumed The Hungry Tiger made his way safely home.

Atom the Cat - One of many cats by the name of Tom Cat, Atom the Cat is an anthropomorphic upright cat who first appeared in a comic book published by defunct publisher Charlton Comics called The All American Tom Cat issue 4, cover dated April 1956. Appearing under that title in issues 4-8, the 9th issue was renamed Atom the Cat and lasted until issue 17.

Starting of as a regular anthropomorphic cat, Tom absorbed radiation from an atomic reactor and acquired super powers which he maintains by eating fresh fish. The scientists in charge of the plant gave him a cape and mask and persuaded him to work as a government hero as Atom the Cat. 

In appearance he is a black furred tuxedo cat with white paws, belly, lower face, inside of ears and the tip of his tail. His short red cape is lined yellow and has a collar around his neck fastened with an amulet which has the gold letters AC on black. He wears a golden M shaped eye mask.

Originally about three to four feet tall and of anthropomorphic cat-like proportions, since his arrival in the Mythlands, Atom has grown a few feet and become highly muscled. If he were to be drawn as he is now, he would probably look like he was painted by Alex Ross.