Character Profiles: The Heist Part One (31-35)

Mr Smee - Mr Smee is a character from J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan (1904. The novel was published in 1911 under the title of Peter and Wendy). He is the bo'sun, sometimes the first mate, aboard the pirate ship The Jolly Roger and acts as a second in command to Captain Hook.

Appearing only briefly in The Heist, Mr Smee's current occupation is radio DJ on the 'pirate' radio station Skull FM.

Dr Syn - The Reverend Doctor Christopher Syn leads a secret life as a pirate/smuggler in a series of novels by Russel Thorndike. His 'regular' occupation is the mild mannered country vicar for the seaside parish of Dymchurch under the Wall. First seen in Dr Syn: A Tale of the Romney Marsh, published in 1915, the vicar turned pirate operated under various aliases including 'Captain Clegg' and 'The Scarecrow.'

In modern times he and his fellow pirates Mr Smee and Captain Hook, seem to have given up the seagoing life in favour of living in the desert metropolis of Myth Vegas, where Skull FM operates. Dr Syn hosts several hours of smooth jazz for the station. He is only mentioned in the story, not seen.

Captain Hook - Peter Pan's arch enemy was created by J.M. Barrie in 1904 and continues to be a famous character to this day.

In the Mythlands he is a reporter and possibly founder of Skull FM, which despite it's appellation as 'pirate radio,' is a well loved and respected local station in Myth Vegas. James Hook interviews the Glass Cat, who uses the opportunity to smear the Hare's reputation for his own devious purposes. Not seen thereafter, the staff of Skull FM are presumably going about their duties in Myth Vegas and seem content to have traded in the sea life for the big city.

Dorian Grey - Dorian first appeared, with his surname spelled differently in The Picture of Dorian Gray, an 1891 published novel by Oscar Wilde.

A handsome young aristocratic Victorian gentleman, it is revealed that his sins and evil deeds are reflected in a painting of himself - the portrait absorbs all his excesses and becomes hideous, while Gray remains young and unblemished. At the end of the story, Dorian gives into despair at the state of his soul and stabs the painting. As a result he dies and the picture returns to it's original state.

Reborn into the Mythlands as a reformed character, Dorian realizes he is now a true immortal and resolves to lead a good life. At some point he encounters and befriends The Magic Mirror, who is one of several seers whose prophetic visions reveal a dark future for the Mythlands. The Mirror reveals that saving the future depends on revealing the Hare's shallow nature to himself. In the pursuit of that goal and aided by other visions, the pair invest in The Lucky Cactus Casino and Hotel Resort Complex and await the Hare's arrival.

Dorian is a charming and polite gentleman - nevertheless he has trouble hiding his irritation when Hare mistakes him for Christian Grey. 

He plays a significant role in the plot.

The Magic Mirror - The Mirror is a sentient mystic object that first appeared in the tale of Snow White published in Grimm's Fairy Tales in 1812 by the Brother's Grimm. It is possible that the tale itself was based on a mix of earlier folk tales and legends.

In the original story The Magic Mirror belonged to the Evil Queen and was famous for telling her she was 'the fairest of them all,' until it gave that honour to Snow White - this also proved a facet of the Mirror's existence, that it never lies.

On arrival in the Mythlands the Mirror or 'Magic' as he prefers to be called, found himself at liberty to pursue his own destiny. Discovering he could move from his main long frame to any other mirror or reflective surface that wasn't protected by magic, the Mirror began to explore the lands beyond the Magic Forrest (spelled with an extra r). Over the course of decades, Magic discovered new abilities that he could utilize without having others ask him first - this included the gift of prophesy.

Haunted by incomplete visions of a coming apocalyptic future, which he revealed to his new best friend Dorian Grey, the pair resolved to dedicate their lives to protecting the future of the Mythlands. Using his gifts to allow Dorian to recoup his lost fortune, the pair waited for the arrival of a copy of the mortal city of Las Vegas - when it materialized in the 1960's they invested heavily in the construction of the huge sprawling complex that became the Lucky Cactus, knowing that one day The Hare would be given the job of Entertainments Executive by Mythical Creatures Interdimensional, the owners of the city.

The Mirror foresaw that The Hare was important to saving the future but he had to be shown the shallowness of his ways and be led to a new heroic path. To this end the pair constructed a museum in a little used portion of the complex and used magic to construct a mirrored painting that could be made to show a person's inner self.

As predicted, one day at his lowest ebb, a sobbing and depressed Hare turned up at the museum and they showed him his reflection - this sent the Hare running, and in denial.

Undaunted, Magic sent Dorian to find The Hare's estranged ex, Jessica Bunny, in a nightclub in Oz. The Mirror revealed himself and persuaded a reluctant Jessica to find The Hare and help him - with the prospect of Jessica's forgiveness, the Hare slowly started on a path of redemption and true heroics. 

The Magic Mirror discovered he could travel with Jessica as her compact mirror and that a psychic connection developed between them. In this way Magic was able to journey with The Hare, Jessica and the companions they picked up on the way, to help prevent the end times.

This journey led to assistance from two other psychics, the mysterious talking cat SC and Chicken Licken - together they had all the pieces needed to steer the future into a less dark path.