Character Profiles: Nepotism (1st Short)

MYTHICAL CREATURES CHARACTER LISTINGS.

In order of appearance.

NEPOTISM (1st short story)

The Tortoise - The story of The Tortoise and The Hare originated between 2600 and 2700 years ago as part of Aesop's Fables (number 226 in the Perry Index). The story persisted throughout the ages but was most popularized in the 19th and 20th centuries.

In the present day, The Tortoise has been Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of Mythical Creatures Interdimensional since the Mythlands came into being some seven decades ago. This was mainly due to The Tortoise taking charge and leading the structuring of a new society following the chaos when many characters suddenly appeared together in the new composite world. MCI is the ruling body of the Domain of the Mythical Creatures and The Tortoise it's benevolent leader.

The Tortoise is a wise and just leader who has dedicated his life to serving his people and maintaining peace and stability within the realms. He is looked upon as an equal and much respected by the rulers of other realms in The Mythlands, such as King Babar, Queen Ozma and the Godheads (The rulers of the godly pantheons - Odin, Zeus, Osiris etc).

His one weakness is his sense of responsibility for his old friend The Hare.

In appearance and personality, The Tortoise is slow of speech and body, but quick of mind and intelligence. He is ancient looking, bent over and walks (on two legs) with the aid of a stick. He is about 4.5 feet tall and is an anthropomorphic animal or Upright. He is dressed in his shell but sometimes wears suits - most often a cream suit with a panama hat. He has big brown soulful eyes and speaks in slow and measured tones. His voice is somewhere between Winston Churchill and JFK.

The Hare (mentioned but not seen in this story) - See above for original source.

On arrival in the Mythlands circa 1946, The Hare has drifted from place to place, searching for meaning to his existence and usually from one get rich quick' scheme to another. He has travelled the Mythlands extensively and being a social creature, has met and befriended many characters. The Hare is quite well liked but not taken too seriously as he is quick to act, quick to get bored and generally lacks follow through. While not the brightest of creatures, Hare is not unintelligent but he rarely bothers to think things through and beyond a certain animal cunning that he has used to mixed effect in his schemes, he lives in and for the moment.

Hare seems to exemplify qualities that are both independent and interdependent. He is extremely susceptible to cultural influences and while charming and charismatic himself, can fall prey to trickery from others who possess those traits. Flattery can be used to damaging effect against The Hare and appealing to his immense ego often blinds him against manipulation. In his own mind, The Hare is a rugged individualist, leader of men and trend setter - he is very influenced by the fashions and culture of the times and his appearance throughout the decades reflects this. From his zoot suits of the 1940's to his long haired, leather jacketed easy rider image of the 1960's through to the present, The Hare probably has one of the most extensive wardrobes in The Mythlands. These days he tends to go for skinny jeans with heavy metal logo emblazoned t-shirts and retro 80's style light jackets with rolled up sleeves and dark shades and DM boots or gaudy, bright trainers with flashing neon strips.

As one of the many creatures without a defined name and backstory, The Hare has adopted a faux Irish background in recent years and the alias of O'Hare, in order to give himself cultural roots ... and because he thought it was cool.

The Hare has a complicated relationship with his oldest friend The Tortoise - he will take money and jobs from his friend but resent him at the same time, often imagining Tortoise's kindness to be born of a desire to control and act superior. In recent years Hare was given a position at MCI, first as the host/manager of a trendy restaurant (which burned down due to his neglecting safety regs) and then the plum job of Entertainments Executive (complete with a seat on the board) and Manager of the Lucky Cactus Casino/Resort in Myth Vegas.

Among his many good friends he counts The Golden Goose, Mr Toad, Pegasus and a fair few of his fellow rabbits, anthropomorphic or otherwise. Hare has been a bit of a womanizer and ladies man for most of his existence but that began to change when he met Jessica Bunny. Although their relationship got off to a rocky start, Jessica makes The Hare want to be a better man and he genuinely tries to change his ways for her and for himself because of her.

In appearance The Hare is a tall, skinny rabbit man - a bit over 6 foot tall, with what could be described as a near 'heroin chic' frame. He is especially proud of his 8 pack and likes to take his top off to show off his pecs and abs. His fur is a white grey in colour but not from age - he's always been this colour. Unlike The Tortoise, Hare looks young and fresh faced and bursting with energy - his natural athletic abilities, speed and climbing skills are almost uncanny and he has been known to bare hand climb up mountains and huge trees at a rapid pace and in a forest he can swing and jump from tree to tree in a Tarzan-like fashion.

Ariel the Fairy - Ariel is a Fey/Fairy of roughly six inches in height. She originates from Shakespeare's play The Tempest (circa 1610). Perhaps due to mortal misconceptions, she identifies as Elizabethan and often expresses a fondness for those times and 'Good Queen Bess.' Her speech patterns remain strictly 16th century and she refuses to modernize them. Ariel has a fiery temper and is quick to anger. However her other traits include extreme loyalty and a sense of justice. She faithfully serves The Tortoise as his chief investigator and is partnered to her good friend, MCI Security Chief, Big Bruin (formerly Papa Bear). They often play Good Bear, bad Fairy in interrogation scenarios. Ariel has wings and can fly - she presumably has other fairy powers. She is slim, blonde and attractive, but her looks are often marred by her seemingly permanent scowl.

Mrs Tiggywinkle - The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle by Beatrix Potter was published in 1905 though the author conceived her character before that. Mrs T was originally a Hedgehog washerwoman, but since finding herself in The Mythlands she has come to be employed at the corporate HQ of MCI (The Castle) in Domain City, as The Tortoise's Executive Assistant. Mrs Tiggywinkle has dedicated her life to making The Tortoise's run smoothly. She is a powerful force within the company and much respected. Her loyalty to The Tortoise is absolute and she is very fond of him. In looks she is an upright, clothed hedgehog who is approximately three foot tall and dresses in modest business attire suitable for a woman of a certain age. She wears spectacles.