여덟 • eight

i sat on the couch, watching tv cross legged with my bowl of cereal. i turn the volume down as the twins request to video chat. i furrow my eyebrows, accepting it anyway. "hey." i said, taking a scoop of cereal into my mouth.

"happy birthday!" they screamed, giving me a smile. i chuckle. "thanks guy." i answered. "are you really spending your birthday, on the couch, with cereal?" riley asks, dumbfounded. "i don't celebrate my birthday, riles. you know this." i said with a chuckle. "i know.. but i want you to. i mean, you're twenty!" she exaggerated.

"and in a year, i'll turn twenty one. and in another year, i'll be twenty two. it's not that much of a thing to be celebrated." i said with a shrug. "stop being so sour." sun woo says with a playful glare. i chuckle, shaking my head as i scooped up some more cereal. i then transferred to sit down on the carpet as i propped my phone up against the vase.

the call went silent.. and i knew that they would ask.

"has she called?" sun woo asks. i scoffed. "why would she? she has no reason to. i'm the mistake she should've aborted, remember?" i said with a sigh. "you shouldn't have asked." riley says, smacking her brother. "it's fine." i insisted. "how bout your dad?" sun woo asks. "sun woo, shut up!" riley scolded.

i sighed, pushing my bowl of cereal away from me. "sorry." sun woo apologises, i nod, dismissing the topic. "it doesn't matter." i said. "sorry we can't spend it with you either." riley says, frowning. "i told you both to go home straight. but no, you chose to, of all places, go to a restaurant to have supper." i said, shaking my head. "i was practically dragged there." sun woo says, defending himself.

"let's not point fingers here." riley says, pouting. "did you guys call me just so i could particularly get an insight into how the both of you like to argue? because i'm pretty sure i get enough of that already." i said, letting out a sigh.

honestly, talking about my mom put me in a bad mood. i wasn't necessarily upset with them. i just wished that they never brought it up.

"listen, i'm gonna go. i need to get started on a picture board. i'll see you both tomorrow." i told them. they nod, waving as i hung up. i turned off the tv before stuffing my face into a pillow.

"gosh. my life is so put together!" i piped sarcastically, massaging my temples. "happy birthday." rowoon says. i turn around to see that he was leaning against one of the pillars. "did you hear all that?" i asked as he put a leg over the couch and sat down. he nods.

"great. are you going to question me about it too?" i asked. "i've heard all there is that i wanted to know. so, why didn't you tell me that today would be your birthday?" he asks. "because it's nothing special." i repeated, shrugging.

"tell you what, let's hurry and film that audition video. then let's go for a drive." he suggests. i nod, letting out a sigh. he followed behind me as i went up to my room, grabbing my guitar. he holds up my phone. "introduce yourself and tell me the song you're playing." he says before he begins to record.

"annyeonghaseyo. i'm lee jisu and this is chasing pavements by adele."

"I've made up my mind
Don't need to think it over
If I'm wrong I am right
Don't need to look no further
This ain't lust
I know this is love but"

i said after i strummed the intro, my voice coming out a little hoarse.

"If i tell the world
I'll never say enough
Cause it was not said to you
And that's exactly what I need to do
If I'm in love with you"