Chapter One; Diggy

“Mama, you remind me of something.

I don’t know what it is…

You remind me of something.

You gotta show me…

Alright, you remind me of something.

I don’t know what it is right now.

You remind me of something.

You gotta show me…”

“Dang baby! I ain’t know you could dance like that!” I smiled at Courtney as she swung her hips from side to side. “Dig, we’ve been together for a year and a half and you didn’t know that?” I chuckled and shook my head. “No, no I didn’t,” I grabbed her waist and pulled her close to me. “But I think it is so sexy.” I pressed my lips against hers and smiled. “Now will you really dance? I know you can dance, bae… C’mon.” She grabbed my wrists and danced along to the beat. I laughed and started to dance along with her. “Yo Dig!” I turned around to see Roger making his way over to us. “Hey,” I gave him some daps and he smiled at Courtney. “Courtney, right?” Courtney smiled. “Yeah,” Roger gave her a small hug. “Nice to see you again,” “Same to you,” Roger turned back towards me. “You enjoying my boy Jamie’s frat party?” I laughed. “Yeah! It’s hype up in here!” Roger laughed. “Oh… Just you wait.” All of a sudden a loud siren went off and black and blue strobe lights filled the dark house. “Oh ladies…” A loud voice filled the house. “Show ‘em how it’s done…” The strobe lights became faster and the music got louder. And that’s how I knew that it was about to go down…

“I’ll see you for lunch tomorrow, right?” I held Courtney by her waist as I dropped her off at her dorm. “Of course,” She slipped her arms around my waist. “Get some rest now… Tomorrow’s our first real day of college.” I laughed. “Alright… You too.” She nodded. “I will,” I hugged her tightly. “I love you,” She looked into my eyes. “I love you too.” She brought her lips to mine sweetly before letting me go. “Goodnight,” I smiled. “Goodnight beautiful,” She unlocked her door and stepped inside. And I turned around and started making my way down the hall…

“Yo Dig! I don’t think you want to be late on your first day of college!” I heard my roommate Ricky yell in my ear. “Oh shit!” I hopped out of bed quickly and ran to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and brushed down my hair before jumping out of the bathroom. I jogged over to my dresser and grabbed some clothes. I slid them on along with my shoes and grabbed my phone and backpack. I slid my keys in my pocket and headed towards the door. “See ya, Ricky.” I said as I closed the door behind me. I struggled to throw my backpack over my shoulder as I ran across the lawn to the building where my first class, English, was held. I sighed as I ran up the steps and into the dark building. I searched down the halls to see if I could find my class. “Damn! Where the hell is my class?!” I peeped through the window at a class. “And I believe you are Mr. Simmons,” I heard a female voice behind me. I turned around and smiled politely. “Y-Yes ma’am. My name’s Daniel.” I held out my hand for her to shake. “Well, hello Daniel,” She smiled. “My name is Mrs. Denise and my class is held from eight o’clock to eleven-thirty… What time is it now, sir?” I looked nervously at my watch. “E-Eight o-seven, ma’am.” I shook my head. “Correct, and that means you are late.” She stepped back into her classroom. “I know, Mrs. Denise. But-“ “I’m sorry Daniel, but you will not be joining our class today. You can try again tomorrow if you come on time with your five page paper typed.” My eyes widened. “Five page paper? On what?” Ohmygoodness… “If you were arrived on time to class, you would know, now wouldn’t you?” She adjusted her glasses on her face. “Yes ma’am,” I sighed. How the hell am I supposed to write a paper and I don’t even know what it’s on? “You have a good day now, Mr. Simmons. Hopefully I’ll see you first thing in the morning.” She smiled as I turned around. “Good day, Mrs. Denise.” She closed her door and I headed down the hall… What a great way to start off my first day of college, right?