Chapter Ten; Courtney

“Hey Elise, how should I wear my hair tonight?” I shouted to Elise from the bathroom. “What are your options?” I heard her walking towards the bathroom. “I mean, I can either wear it up in a bun or straighten it.” She tapped her chin. “What’s Diggy’s favorite?” I smiled. “He likes to run his fingers through my hair, so…” “Wear it down,” She winked at me and handed me my flat irons. “Thanks,” I began to part my hair and start the process of straightening my long locks of hair. I only had an hour before I had to pick up Diggy. I quickly but carefully straightened my hair and called Elise to make sure it looked acceptable. After getting her approval, I quickly applied some make up, grabbed my things and headed out of the door.

While walking to the other side of campus to get Diggy, I couldn’t help but to think about this being our last date for at least four months. The thought did more than break my heart. The thought of him not being here with me made me want to cry. Just thinking of him not being here when I needed him… Not being here to hug and kiss me… Not being here to just lay and chill with me… Not being here with me. It literally broke every piece of me. I felt like I was just gonna collapse and shatter all over the ground beneath me. I really, really don’t want him to go. Tears were starting to fill my eyes as I knocked on his door. I placed my index finger to the bottom of my eyelids to gently wipe the tears so they won’t ruin my beautiful makeup and night. Tonight will be a good night. I drew in a deep breath and put a smile on my face as Diggy opened the door. “Well, don’t you look marvelous?” He flashed me his beautiful smile and I knew that tonight was gonna be more than a good night. It was going to be perfect.

“What would you like to listen to, my handsome prince?” I smiled at Diggy while fidgeting with my phone to find a song to satisfy him. I struggled to keep my eyes on the road and the phone and he took the phone from my hand. “Focus on the road, babe.” He began scrolling on my phone as I stopped at a red light. “Find a song?” He nodded and turned on Drunk Texting by Chris Brown and Jhene Aiko. “This my song,” I laughed at him as he began to sing quietly. “So, baby tonight… I’m blowing up your line. I got you on my mind. And the truth is hard to fight, so I’ll be…” He looked at me and smiled. “I’ll be drunk texting, drunk texting, drunk texting you.” I laughed at him. “You’re singing’s A-1 today, babe.” I held up my O-K sign and shook my head. “Do I sound bad?” He continued to terribly sing the song. All I could do was laugh. “Yes,” I giggled as he frowned and folded his arms across his chest. “Well dang,” I rolled my eyes while pulling into Red Lobster. “Fix ya face, sweetheart, we’re here.”

“Daniel, reach over to my plate one more time.” I scowled at Diggy as he chewed more of my lobster. He ate more off my plate than I did. “What you gon’ do? You aren’t even eating!” I rolled my eyes. “If you reach your little grimy hand over here one more time, I swear that’ll be the last time you ever see it.” He placed a hand on his chest and leaned back in horror. “Well damn! Guess I’ll keep my hands on my own plate!” He pulled his plate closer to him. I nodded at him. “That’s better.” He smirked at me. “Babe, look!” He pointed to something behind me in the distance. I turned around quickly but didn’t see anything but people eating; enjoying their food. “What? I don’t see anything.” I continued to look. “Oh, never mind. It’s gone now.” His words were mumbled and his mouth sounded like it was full of food. I turned around and looked at my plate. He had taken another bite of my lobster. “Daniel Dwayne Simmons! I-“ “Waiter!” He began to call for the waiter. “Waiter!” I glared at him from across the table. The waiter hurried to our table. “Is everything okay over here?” Diggy smiled. “Yes, I just think I’m ready for the check. My lady, here, is getting quite antsy.” I clenched my jaw. The waiter gave me a concerned look. “I’ll be right back with your check,” He left quickly and I grabbed my napkin and threw it at Diggy. “Ow! What was that for?” “You completely embarrassed me! ‘My lady here is quite antsy.’ The hell was that?” He did nothing but laugh. “You’re so cute when you’re mad.” I tried my best to keep a serious face as I felt my cheeks flush. “I see you blushing. Awe. You’re so adorable.” Stay serious. Stay mad. “Diggy, shut up.” I showed him a small smile. “I see that smile. Smile for me, baby.” I sighed. Forget it, Courtney. You aren’t gonna win this. “Fine, you win.” I showed him a big bright smile. “There’s that gorgeous smile.”