Chapter Six; Courtney

"Two tickets for The Amazing Spiderman 2, please." I smiled politely at the lady standing behind the counter. "That'll be twenty dollars," I dug in my wallet and pulled out a twenty. I handed it to her through the little whole in the glass separating us. "Thanks," She handed me the tickets. "You two enjoy the show," She smiled as I handed Diggy a ticket. We walked through the doors of Grand Cinema and handed the ticket man our tickets. He ripped them in half and handed them back to us. "Thanks," Diggy wrapped his arm around my waist "You know you didn't have to do this-" "Shut up," I put my hand in his face. "Whaaat?" He stepped in front of me. "You don't have to keep telling me I don't have to do what I want for you. I know I don't have to, but I chose to because I love you." I toyed with his shirt while I said that. "Awe..." He lifted my chin and smiled. "C'mere," He pressed his lips to mine slowly and smiled. He backed away from me and grabbed my hand. "C'mon... Let's get some snacks." We walked over to the concession stands. "What kind of candy do you want?" I glanced at him while picking up a pack of watermelon Sour Patch Kids. "Um... I'll have a bag of Sour Skittles." I nodded while grabbing the green bag. "One large popcorn or two mediums?" He gave me a bland stare. "One large... Duh." I laughed. "I'm sorry! My bad." I walked up to the counter carrying the two bags of candy and my wallet. I set my things on the counter and started to open my wallet. "Hi. How may I help you?" A tall guy with black hair smiled friendly. "Hi... Can I get these two bags of candy and a medium popcorn, please?" He nodded while pressing the buttons on his cash register. "Anything to drink?" I turned around to Diggy; who was getting straws and napkins at a table across the large room. "Drinks?" I mouthed to him. "Pepsi is fine," He said back while grabbing a handful of napkins. I turned back to the cashier. "Two medium Pepsis," He pressed the button on the machine. "That'll be twenty twenty-six." I dug in my wallet and pulled out a twenty and a single dollar bill. I handed him the money and he began gathering my food. "Enjoy your night," He grinned after pushing the popcorn and drinks towards me. "Thanks," I turned to my left and saw Diggy reaching for his Pepsi. "Ready?" He slowly took his bag of candy out of my right hand. "Yep," He smiled at me as we walked towards our theater.

"I can't believe you actually cried in a Spiderman movie." Diggy teased me on the way back to campus. "They didn't have to kill Gwen like that... She didn't deserve to die." I frowned and he shook his head. "Courtney you're such a baby..." I laughed. "Shut up," He chuckled. "Crying in a Spiderman movie... I can't believe you." I rolled my eyes. "Chill bruh..." He playfully pushed my shoulder. "Stop..." I lightly slapped his cheek. "You stop," He flicked my jaw. "You're so childish. You're the one who started this." I punched his thigh. He gave me an evil glance. "Hush up," I folded my arms across my chest in fake anger. He looked at me as he stopped at a red light. "Awe... Is the little baby-waby mad?" He pinched my cheek. "Don't touch me," I tried my hardest to keep from laughing. He leaned over to me and pressed his nose against my cheek. "D-Daniel, I said not to touch me." I gave a small giggle. He wiggled his nose on my cheek. "Coouurrttnneey..." My giggles turned into laughs. "I knew you couldn't stay mad at me." He pecked my cheek as the light turned green. I rolled my eyes. "Oh shut up, Pumpkin-Head."

"Wow... I honestly didn't expect to see you here tonight." KP shyly smiled while walking through the doors of the cafeteria. "Then why'd you come?" I laughed. "Hope. I had hope." He chuckled while taking a seat beside me. "So what happened? Officer decide to let you go?" I laughed at his reference to Diggy. "Yeah... Look, I'm sorry about what happened that day." I gave him a sincere look. "Don't worry about it," I shook my head. "No really. Diggy was way out of line. And-" "Courtney," He placed his hands on top of mine and stared into my eyes. "I said not to worry about it." I stared at him as he held down my hands. "Al-Alright," I took my hands out of his grip quickly and began searching for my notes. "Boyfriends will be boyfriends... I probably would've behaved the same way if another guy was with my beautiful girlfriend..." Did he just call me beautiful? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to thank him or keep quiet. Instead, I just smile. Nothing wrong can come from a simple smile, right? "You have a nice smile..." KP stared at me. I met his eyes and looked away from him quickly. We need to get back on track. "C-Circumference and circles, right?" He nodded. "Yeah. I-" His phone started to vibrate as it sat on the table. "Give me on second," He picked up his phone and stared at the screen. He sat silently and I noticed the change in his facial expression. "Is everything alright?" He nodded and sighed. "Sup?" He placed the phone to his ear. "Yeah, I'm here now." He looked around and quickly met his eyes with mine. "Yeah..." He blinked and shifted his eyes to the table. He turned away from me. "C'mon now man, is it really that important?" After a few moments of silence. "I think you're looking too much into this..." His voice grew quieter as he spoke. It's almost like he doesn't want me to hear. Is he talking about me to the person on the other end? If so, why...? "Look, I need to go..." He rolled his eyes. "Bye." He put his phone back on the table. "Sorry about that..." He says. "Let's get started."

"Hey Elise? You asleep over there?" I whispered loudly to Elise. "I'm not anymore," She hissed. "What's up?" I sighed and toyed with my hair. "I think KP is interested in me..." I watched her shadowy figure shift from laying down to sitting up. "Why do you think that?" I shrugged. "When I was tutoring him earlier, I was apologizing for Diggy's actions and he basically held my hands while telling me it was okay. Then he was saying he understood why Diggy was acting like that. He said he would've acted the same way if he had a beautiful girlfriend like me... He called me beautiful, E." Elise sighed. "Well, that's because you are, Courtney. And Diggy isn't the only guy who's gonna realize that... He was probably just being polite and complimenting you. Don't look too much into it, alright?" I could tell she was getting tired again and that's when I made the decision not to tell her about the awkward phone call he had. "Alright. Goodnight Elise."

"You're coming tonight to my tutoring session with KP, right?" Diggy stared at his juice silently. "Yeah..." He sighed while picking it up. "What's wrong?" I leaned towards him. "Nothing..." I rolled my eyes. "Daniel, we're too close for you to be lying to me. Forreal baby, tell me what's up." He untwisted the top of his juice. "It's just... I leave in a little over a week and we're letting people get between us..." He looked at me sadly and I reached for his hands. "Daniel, we're still together, right?" He nodded slowly. "Then baby, nobody is coming between us... And I swear on everything I won't ever let that happen." A small smile appeared on his face. "Promise?" I giggled and smiled. "Promise."

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Diggy stared at me uncomfortably as we sat at a table in the cafeteria that night. He didn't say anything as he stared at me. "Weirdo..." I glanced away from him for a second and looked at him again. He slowly crossed his eyes and looked at his nose. I started laughing at how weird he is. "You're so crazy," I laughed. He stuck out his tongue and started laughing. "You aren't even funny, man..." He straight-faced me as I laughed. "But you're laughing though..." His comment only made me laugh harder. "That's because you're stupid!" Tears started forming in my eyes as I laughed. He started laughing too. "Gosh Courtney..." He chuckled. "It's good to know that I can still put a smile on your face." I started to calm down as I wiped my tears. "Of course. What'd you think?" He shrugged. "It just seems the longer the couple is together, the more spark goes away... And it's good to know that after a year and a half we still have as much spark as we did when we first started. Like... I love doing stupid things just to make you smile. Or acting out of my character just for you to laugh. Or kiss you when you're mad at me just for you to relax a bit... Just do all the things that I did when we first got together, ya know? It's amazing to feel that same spark every time we kiss like the first time I ever pressed my lips against yours. That tingle in my hands every time I hold yours in mine. The racing of my heart when I hold you in my arms... It's all still there from the beginning." Awe. "That was beautiful..." He smiled. "I have no words for that... I really don't... Words can't describe how much I love you." He smiled. "I love you too."

"KP, there's something Diggy would like to tell you." I glanced at Diggy and nudged his arm lightly. "Um..." He swallowed. "Yo KP, I'm sorry for my behavior the other day. I was way out of line... It was wrong of me to threaten you like that, and I want you to know that I am deeply sorry." KP nodded and Diggy glanced at me. I smiled at him while grabbing his hand from under the table. "Even though I'm one hundred percent positive that Courtney put you up to this, I accept your apology." Diggy frowned. "Na man... I really do apologize. Regardless if Courtney put me up to this or not, I was wrong." Diggy put his hand to his chest. "And I sincerely apologize for my actions." KP nodded while rolling his eyes. "Yo KP, what's your problem?" I snapped at him. He was being so rude to Diggy while he gave his apology. "You wanna know what my problem is, Courtney?" He narrowed his eyes at me. "You wanna know what my fu-" "Hold up now son. You will not disrespect my girlfriend like that." Diggy's voice got loud. "If you have a problem, be chill with it. You ain't 'bout to disrespect her like that... You got me messed up." Diggy's voice grew louder. "Calm down, baby..." I rubbed his leg. "Hell naw... Just because this nigga got a problem doesn't mean her can cuss at you like that." I shook my head. "But who's cussing now, Diggy?" He drew in a breath. "Yeah, listen to ya' girl." KP smirked and Diggy clenched his jaw. "KP, what's your issue..?" I was trying to resolve this conflict as soon as possible. "My problem, Courtney, is that you brought him to our study session." I gave him a confused look. "You could've just told me you weren't feeling me that way instead of kissing all up on him in front of my face." KP snapped. "What the hell are you talking about?" Diggy blew a hard breath out of his nose. "I know you saw me outside of the door when you two were being all lovey-dovey. That shit wasn't cool." I blinked at him. "...Don't even flatter yourself. I brought him here to apologize to you, nigga. Ain't nobody was trying to show off to you... C'mon now..." He rolled his eyes. "Whatever," I shook my head. "You're completely full of shit. C'mon Diggy, let's go."