Chapter Four; Courtney

“It seems like some of you think you’re still in high school…” Our math professor lectured us at the end of class. “If you don’t come here to better your lives, then don’t come here at all…” I rolled my eyes and sat back. “I’ll be passing back your quizzes as class is dismissed. If you leave before getting your quiz, you will not be receiving it.” The hall was silent. “You are dismissed,” Everyone got up and started gathering their things. I stood up and threw my bag over my shoulder. I sighed and walked towards Mrs. Fuller’s desk. “Ah… Ms. Colding,” She pulled my quiz out of the stack of papers. “One hundred percent. Great job.” I smiled as she placed my quiz into my hands. “Thanks,” I glanced at my outstanding work as I began walking out of the hall. “One hundred percent, eh?” I heard this voice from behind me. I turned around to see this tall guy standing behind me. I nodded and stared at him awkwardly. He was one of the students acting a fool during our lecture today… “I wish I could get scores like that.” He shook his head. “But for now I’m stuck in the sixty percentile range.” I rolled my eyes slightly. “Well, maybe if you weren’t so busy goofing off in class you wouldn’t be there.” My voice came out to be a little more edgy than planned. He chuckled a bit. “So it seems Mrs. Fuller wasn’t the only one to get annoyed with me today.” I stood there silently. “What’s your name, Perfect Score?” I sighed. “Courtney. And you, Disruptive?” “Keith. Keith Powers. But my friends call me KP.” I nodded. “Nice to meet you…” I started to turn around. “Well… I must get going.” I began to walk away and he quickly stepped beside me. “Wait, maybe you could help me get scores like that…” I snapped my neck around at him. “And I would do that because…?” He laughed. “Because… College is hard… And I need to pass just as bad as everyone else in this university.” I sighed. “I normally don’t beg… But please?” I folded my arms across my chest. “Why me out of all the other smart people here? I bet I’m not the only one who aced the quiz… It wasn’t even that hard to be honest with you…” He groaned. “C’mon Courtney… Just for a little while. It won’t even have to be for the whole semester. Just for a few weeks…” I didn’t say anything for a while. “…Fine… Every Wednesday at six o’clock in the cafeteria. We’ll go for an hour and a half... Is that okay?” He gave me this huge smile. “Thank you so much!” I smiled a little. “You’re welcome… Now I really must get going. See you Wednesday.” Once again I headed for the door. “Wait! Can I get your number?” I gave him a confused look. “Um… My number?” He nodded. “Yeah… Just so we can let each other know if one of us can’t make it one day.” I blinked at him. “O-Oh yeah… Of course.”

“There’s my beautiful girlfriend…” Diggy smiled as I sat down at the table during lunch. “Hi baby,” He leaned over the table and gave me a kiss. “How was your morning?” I sighed at the asking of that question. “It was alright… My trig class was a little annoying this morning…” He nodded. “How come?” I shrugged. “These irritating students… They fool around in class and wonder why they’re failing.” Diggy chuckled a bit. “And get this, one of the obnoxious fools asked me to tutor them…” Diggy smacked his lips. “Oh really? And what did you say?” I gave him a selfish smile. “Well me being the kind-hearted person I am, I said I would do it.” He smiled. “That’s sweet of you, Courtney. Who is it?” I chewed on my grapes slowly. “His name is KP,” Diggy gave me a confused look. “His…?” Oh lord. “Um… Yeah, his. His name is Keith Powers but he told me to call him KP… Y-You don’t have a problem with me tutoring him, do you baby?” I batted my eyes at him. Diggy stared at me silently. “Of course not…”

“Diggy, I just got here like ten minutes ago… Maybe he’s just running a little late.” I talked to Diggy on the phone as I sat at an empty table in the cafeteria. “If he’s not there in the next ten minutes, I want you to leave…” I rolled my eyes. “Diggy-“ “I’m serious Courtney… Don’t think I won’t call you back in ten minutes to see if he’s there or not…” I sighed and glanced over at the door. KP was making his way in. “No need. He’s walking in now. I’ll talk to you later, Diggy. Love you, bye.” I hung up the phone and placed it on the table. “Hey,” KP sat down in the seat across from me. “Hi…” He began digging through his bag and my phone buzzed.