Chapter Seven; Diggy

"And that concludes todays lecture. You are now dismissed." I heard muffles of Mr. Franklin talking as I slept lightly. "Dig," The guy next to me named Jeremy nudged me. I popped up. "Ah... Thanks." I yawned and stood up. "Long night?" He threw his bag over his shoulder. "Long and rough..." I sighed and walked out of the hall. I rubbed my eye as I headed out the door and across the field. I stifled a yawn and closed my eyes as I walked. In the process, someone bumps into me roughly. "Whoa..." I looked at the figure standing before me. KP. "Aye, watch where you're going." I sighed. "Chill man... I ain't tryna get into this today. I den had enough of your ass." He gave an irritated chuckle. "Nah man... It's you and your little girlfriend who I've had enough of. I can't believe how she tried to play me last night..." I shook my head. "The hell are you talking about?" He sighed. "Your girlfriend's a role player... She came onto me Wednesday and then tried to act like that shit never happened." I chuckled. "You're really messed up in the head, you know that?" The idea of Courtney coming onto him tickled me. Courtney? C'mon now... "Man whatever... She was trying to apologize for your actions and I was telling her it was no big deal and she grabbed my hands and held them in hers..." I tried my hardest not to listen to him. "Then she was telling me that she hated how disrespectful you were to her and how she hated how you grabbed her..." Don't believe him, Diggy. He's lying. "Then she started confessing how she felt about me and how I always make her smile..." I put my head down. "And shit, Courtney's fine as hell... I wasn't gonna pass up my opportunity to tap that." I didn't even realize I punched him in the nose until I saw blood on my knuckles. "Stay the hell away from my girlfriend..."

I didn't go to the rest of my classes today. I didn't even go to lunch. That whole conversation with KP threw off my entire day. That bastard... I cannot believe him... I shook my head and laid back in bed. I put in my headphones and scrolled through my playlist. While choosing a song, Courtney called me. I sighed. "Hello?" "Are you okay?" I sat up and ran a hand through my hair. "You're not okay... What's wrong?" I sighed. "Daniel, why aren't you answering me?" I closed my eyes. "I'm fine, baby. Really..." Courtney blew out a breath. "Open the door. I'll be there in ten minutes."

"Dig, you punched him in the nose?" Courtney sounded shocked as I told her what happened between KP and I. "He crossed the line, Court. You should've heard how much shit he was talking..." Courtney ran her fingers through my hair as I laid my head on her lap. "What was he saying?" I was deciding whether if I should tell Courtney what KP was saying. It would just make her angry and make the situation worse... But she asked so... "He was telling me how you so-called came on to him." She was silent. "He was talking about how you grabbed his hands and held them in yours, and how you were talking about how rude and disrespectful I was to you that day and how you wished you had a better boyfriend." Courtney sighed. "And how you confessed your feelings for him..." I shook my head. "Then he said he would tap that if he had the chance..." Courtney's silence was worrying me. "Baby?" I looked up at her. "He messed with the wrong one..."

"I'm happy to hear that your voice is filled with so much energy this morning." I laughed as Courtney's bubbly voice filled my ear. "Yeah... KP didn't show up to class today. Mrs. Fuller said that he'd had a terrible accident." Courtney laughed. "The accident of messing with the wrong people..." I smirked. "Yeah... Anyways, what do you have any plans for tonight? I would kind of like to take you out..." I smiled as she said that. "Court, you took me out last week..." She sighed. "Are you turning my dinner-that-you-don't-have-to-pay-for down?" I laughed. "Why of course not. But... Next week, it's my turn to treat you, alright?" "Alright,"

"I don't understand the way you think.

Saying that she's yours not mine.

Sending roses and your silly dreams.

Really just a waste of time.

Because she's mine.

The doggone girl is mine.

Don't waste your time.

Because the doggone girl is mine."

"I wish I could sing this to KP." I laughed as Courtney drove to Red Lobster. "You wouldn't have to. The bloody nose should be enough." Courtney smirked and glanced at me. "You say that like punching him was wrong..." I shrugged but also started to feel bad about the situation. Courtney sighed. "Na... I'm sure that KP deserved getting punched after all the stuff he talked..." Her sentence felt incomplete but I shrugged it off. Hopefully that's all that KP needed to get the message to stay away from Courtney. This little tutoring thing is done... He only wanted that so he could get closer to Courtney. Thinking Courtney felt the same about him... He must be out his damn mind. I started laughing. He is absolutely insane... "What's so funny?" I looked at Courtney with this weird smile on my face. "KP actually thought you were falling for him..." I laughed. "He's crazy..." I continued laughing while glancing at Courtney. She wasn't laughing. She was just silent. Her silence made me shiver a bit. "Why aren't you laughing?" I couldn't stop myself from asking. She shrugged. "No reason..." Her voice felt uneven. "Court...?" She looked at me. "You weren't... You weren't falling for him, were you?" Courtney snapped her neck around. "Of course not, Diggy. You're the only one I've fallen for. I fall more in love with you every time I'm with you, baby." She smiled. "I'm just sick of talking about him, that's all... He isn't worth our time. He's not worth anything... I just don't want to keep spending quality time talking about him." I nodded. "I understand. I'm sorry." I reached over and placed a hand on her knee. "I love you." I gave her a cheesy smile. She laughed. "Love you too, Dummy."

"I swear you do this every time I take you out." Courtney shook her head while we looked at the menus. "I just don't want you spending too much on me, baby." I gave her a sincere look. She put her menu down and stared into my eyes. "Diggy, if I told you I wanted a three hundred dollar pair of shoes, what would you do?" I scrunched my brow. "What? What does that have to do wi-" "Just answer." I sighed. "I'd do everything in my power to get you those shoes..." I said honestly. She smiled. "Exactly... Now, if you say you want a fifty dollar entrée, then I'm gonna do everything I can to be able to afford it." I rolled my eyes. "Courtney, that's totally different." I folded my arms across my chest. "Oh c'mon. It's exactly the same! How is it different?" She pushed her back against the booth roughly. "You shouldn't spend this much on me, Alexa." I rolled my neck. "And you shouldn't with me, Dwayne." I opened my mouth to say something but the waitress walked over. "Are you ready to order?" She drew her pad and paper from her front pocket. "Actually-" "We're ready," Courtney cut me off. I narrowed my eyes at her and she smiled. "I'll have the fettuccini with shrimp and a roll... Baby?" She smiled at me and I sighed. "Actually, that sounds rather delightful... I'll have the same." The waitress nodded. "Your food will be out shortly." As she walked away, Courtney gave me a look. "Don't ask me to take you out anymore." She rolled her eyes and I laughed. "Why not?" She cut her eyes at me. "Because... This is my treat. You should let me spend how much I want." I started to laugh. "Are we seriously having this argument?" She shook her head. "It isn't an argument... It's a discussion." I sighed. "Fine Courtney, fine. But when you become broke, don't say nun.'" She laughed. "Whatchu mean!? I got dollahs foe daaayyzzz."

"Ohmygoodness... Are you Diggy Simmons?" Two teenage girls walked over to our table. I smiled and put down my fork. "Yes I am," I turned towards them. "Ohmygoodness... My dad just got me tickets to your show in Dallas!" Dallas was the first stop on my tour. "I can't wait to see your face in the crowd." Both of the girls squealed. "What's your names?" I smiled at the shorter girl standing beside me. "Jasmine and Alexa," I licked my lips. "Beautiful names... Alexa actually happens to be my girlfriend's middle name." I turned and smiled at Courtney. "Hi," She waved politely. "C-Can we have your autograph?" Jasmine asked shyly. "Why of course." I pulled two napkins from the dispenser and grabbed a pen from my pocket. I wrote the date on it and began to write the message. "To my new beautiful friends Jasmine and Alexa. JetSetters Up! I love you!" I signed my name at the bottom and handed the napkins to the girls. "Ohmygod, thank you so much." I smiled. "Any time," I gave them both hugs before they walked away. "Gosh, I love my fans..." I smiled while looking at Courtney. She was picking her food with her fork. I leaned on the table. "You alright, baby?" She nodded without looking in my eyes. "Court... What's wrong?" She dropped her fork and slowly looked into my eyes. "You're actually leaving..." I put my head down. "I mean... It's always been in the back of my head that you were leaving but now... After seeing that, it's like..." She sighed. "You're really leaving..." I grabbed her hands. "Baby... I know this is gonna be hard for you - for us, really. But we're gonna get through this. Sure, long distance is hard on a relationship... But you and I have been through hell and back. A little distance isn't gonna tear us down." I tangled my fingers with hers. "I promise, baby. Nothing's gonna happen to us... We're gonna be just fine."