Chapter Nine; Diggy

“Bet that’s the realest shit you ever heard.

And I meant it all, baby, every word.

I want to get to know you girl, let me learn.

Explore your mind, and every curve.

We should go somewhere and get acquainted.

No pressure, it’s just two people hangin’.

I’m Diggy wait, I ain’t get ya name.

I get the feeling it’s about to change.”

“Babe, how many times are you gonna listen to this song?” I laughed as Courtney kept replaying My Girl on my phone as we drove back to campus. “I’m sorry, I just love it so much!” She smiled. “You sound so damn sexy…” I loved how she was fangirling over me. She wasn’t behaving as my girlfriend; she was behaving like one of my crazed fans. I laughed. “Did you always behave like this when I released new music?” She looked at me with an embarrassed look. “I’ll take that as a yes…” She laughed. “I just can’t help it… Your voice…” This must be how my fans feel. I’ve always wanted to know how they felt when I released something new. Like, they’d always tweet, post, or blog about it, but I’ve never seen the physical reaction. And looking at Courtney while she listens to My Girl for the tenth time, I’ve finally seen the reaction; and I love it. “I’m glad you’re enjoying it, love.”

 “Diggy,” Ricky plopped down on my bed. “Man, you’ve been packing all day. How about you come and kick it with some of my boys.” I sighed. “I’m almost done…” He chuckled and sighed. “Man, no you’re not. How long will you be gone? The rest of your life?” He began to laugh. “It sure does feel like it.” I sighed and zipped another one of my suitcases. “At least you’re doing what you love.” I looked back at his smiling face. I gave him a small grin while dragging my suitcase with the others. “You alright, man?” “Yeah… I’m straight.” I walked back towards my bed and sat down. “You should really give yourself a break and hang out with us.” I sighed. “Nah man… You just go. I really gotta finish packing…” He shook his head. “Alright man…” He got up and started walking towards the door. “We might be out for a while. Don’t wait up,” After saying that, he was gone.

After about an hour all that was left to pack was my bed sheets and toiletries. I decided I wasn’t gonna pack those until the night before I leave. After I was done packing for the night, I laid in bed and closed my eyes. I tried to relax and not think about these upcoming stressful months. I took slow deep breaths when I heard a knock on the door. I slowly sat up. That couldn’t have been Ricky. He’s only been gone for an hour. And plus, why would he knock on the door? I got up and walked towards the door. I opened it slowly to see Courtney standing at the door with a bright smile on her face. “Surprise,” She giggled slightly and I smiled at her cuteness. “Hey baby,” I gave her a tight hug before letting her in. “What are you doing here?” I grabbed her hand while walking back towards my bed. “I got bored,” She grabbed one of my pillows and squeezed it tightly as she sat by my headboard. “And I’m supposed entertain you?” She nodded happily. I laughed at her. “Hey! Stop laughing and get to entertaining!” She clapped her hands. “Chop! Chop!” I laughed while grabbing another pillow. “Oh shut up!” I threw the pillow at her and she gasped. “Oh. No. You. Didn’t.” She pushed back her hair and chucked her pillow at me. I clenched my jaw as it hit me in the head. “Oh, it’s on now.” I jumped on her and pinned her down on the bed. “Diggy, get off me!” I laughed while she struggled to get out of my grip. “Fine! I’ll just push you off!” I laughed. “Like you’ll be able to-“ And before I knew it, we were  on the ground. My back to the floor and her sitting on my legs. “Gotcha,” She winked and I started to laugh. “That’s the last time I underestimate your strength.” I shook my head as she slid off my legs. I sat up slowly and stared at her. She smiled at the ground as she pushed the loose strands of hair out of her face. She ran a hand through her loose curly hair and tucked it behind her ear. She then pushed her hair over her left shoulder and fluffed it out again. I don’t know why, but I always loved it when she played with her hair in such manner. “You’re so beautiful…” I licked my lips and leaned back on my palms that were pressed onto the floor. “Thank you,” She blushed and looked into my eyes. “I’m gonna miss you so much…” I shook my head and stared down at the ground. “Hey hey…” I looked up to see Courtney’s sweet, smiling face. “Don’t be so down… You’re starting to look how you looked when I first walked in.” I shook my head. “Is that what you were thinking about, Diggy?” I sighed. “Talk to me, baby.” She slid over to me and grabbed my hands. “It’s just… I was so excited to leave for tour… And today I was talking to Ricky about it and he made me realize what important thing I was leaving behind…” I looked into her eyes. “A-And I don’t want to leave you, baby.” I could see the tears building in her eyes. “You’re not leaving me, sweetheart. Y-You’re just going away to do something you love…” I sighed. “But that means leaving something behind that I love very much…” I knew she was trying her hardest not to cry. “Diggy, leaving means going away and never returning… You’re coming back, baby. And when you do, I’m gonna be here waiting with the biggest hugs and sweetest kisses. And I’m gonna take you out and we’re gonna celebrate your accomplishments; because I know you’re gonna do great… We’re gonna have so much fun. But we can’t do that if you don’t go out and show the world what Diggy Simmons can do, now can we?” I shook my head. “Exactly. Now put away those feelings and get pumped! You’re gonna rock the world.” She smiled and I couldn’t help but smile with her. She’s so cute and encouraging. “You’re so cute.” I chuckled and pecked her lips. “Are you feeling better?” She placed her hands on my cheeks. “C’mon, show me a smile.” I laughed and cheesed really hard. “There we go!” She laughed and kissed my lips. “You look so much better when you smile.”

“Why am I so emotional?

No, it’s not a good look. Gain some self control.

And deep down I know this never works.

But you can lay with me so it doesn’t hurt.”

I laid next to a sleeping Courtney with Stay With Me playing in my ears. Gosh, how I wish she could stay with me through these next few months… Man…

“Oh, won’t you stay with me?

‘Cause you’re all I need.

This ain’t love, it’s clear to see…

But darling, stay with me…”

I went to sleep with my love in my arms and woke up to an empty bed with a note left on my pillow.

“Good morning, Sleepy Head. Had to get up early for class and I didn’t want to wake you. You sleep so peacefully, lol. Anyways, I hope you have a great day today. I’ll see you at lunch and hopefully for dinner at eight? Wink, wink. ;) I love you, baby. –Court.”

“Dang, I didn’t even get my kiss goodbye.” I snapped at the air as I began to fold the note in half. While folding, I noticed writing on the back. I turned it over and began to read.

“And before you get upset that you didn’t get your kiss goodbye, I kissed you lightly as you slept. Feel better? I thought so. Alright baby, see you later.”

I laughed and licked my lips while crawling out of bed. I looked over to see Ricky still sleeping. “C’mon Rick, time to get up.” I threw a pillow at him and he rolled over. “I didn’t wake you while you were sleeping with your little girlfriend, so don’t wake me now.” I laughed while walking into the bathroom. “Alright, be late to class then.” I rolled my eyes and kicked the bathroom door closed. I grabbed my toothbrush and turned on the water. I leaned over the counter and stared at myself in the mirror. I sighed and blew out a breath. “Try to have a good day, Dig.” I told myself. “Do it for Courtney,” And with that, I was on my way.