(28) QUESTIONS

8 MONTHS AGO

I can't breathe.

I have to sign the papers today. The papers that officially separate me from Aman. I will no longer be his wife.

"You have been living separately for two months already and we have mentioned that Aman has been living in Mumbai well before that anyway," Vikram, my lawyer told me in the morning. "Not to mention that, I did mention the miscarriage."

"But, Aman went there for business not to be away from me?" I said weakly. Yes, in the past I had my doubts. He went right after my miscarriage and it felt like he couldn't be around me anymore. But now I was having different thoughts.

Maybe it was just cold feet. Come on, Mira. Don't change your mind now. Don't forget that you were miserable. He had become so distant and I was so depressed, I needed his love and support and he went off to Mumbai.

"That's not how we will make the court see. You do, want a quick divorce right?"

I didn't reply. But Vikram happily chirped, "Not to mention you are the niece of justice C.V. Rao, the judge has to listen us."

This was one of the times where I didn't know if I was glad about knowing a high court judge personally.

I know Vikram was assuring me and this was his job. To him, it was a job well done. But he was really annoying me.

As I stepped out the house, my mother followed and we got in the car with Vikram to probably do the hardest thing I would ever have to do.

**

We were done signing the papers. Our respective lawyers stood up and so did we. My mom tried to hold my hand but I let go. I just wanted to be alone. His father looked disappointed and his mother shooted me death glares. She was always against me, I don't even understand why is she so upset about this.

"I hope you find your peace of mind." He said as he left and his parents followed.

And my heart sunk completely.

"Amaan..", I called out after him. I got up from my seat.

"Miss, will you seat down please. The paper work is still.."

"Please just give me a minute," I said and ran out the room. In the hallway, I saw Aman walking out. "Aman!"

He turned around.

"What do you want Mira?"
For the first time in my entire life, I saw Aman's eyes glistening.

"I..."

He waited for me to continue.

"Do you think we have made a mistake?"

" Dont say, we. I am just giving you what you want."

"It's hard for me too, Aman."

"Really? Doesn't look like that to me."

"Don't hate me." I said and I was almost on the verge of tears too. "We just couldn't make it work."

"You know what today even is Mira?" Aman asked.

I looked at him confused. The day we got divorced?