(32)E.I.G.H.T.

My mom squeezed my hand and smiled at me. "Aren't you excited?"she asked me but I didn't answer. 

"I couldn't believe when I saw her. I'm telling you this one is going to be beautiful. You will have to keep an eye on her, she will have guys following her soon enough." 

She was talking about my daughter. I had not seen her yet. I couldn't bring myself to do it. By god's grace though, she was now completely stable. She could be taken soon in a couple of weeks. 

But I could not be happy. 

Today, was the day I had asked Mira to be my girlfriend. Eight years ago to be precise. 

I had gotten a gold bracelet from Mumbai to give her today. It would have been a surprise because we have a rule to not gift anything for anniversaries. But I figured we had completed eight years and with a baby coming, a present would be perfect for the occasion. 

"Aman.." Mira's mom called me, with tears in her eyes. Now my mother looked alarmed as well. She held my hand tightly. 

"Mira has slipped into a coma. I just talked to the doctor. He wants to speak to you.." she said broke into tears. My mom rushed to comfort her. 

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't even cry. I just felt blank. 

**

The doctor and his medical terms didn't effect me anymore. They were not waking up my wife. 

"Aman?" Rhea, Mira's best friend, joined me in the hospital lounge. "We all are here. Why don't you go home and get some sleep? You can come back in the evening."

"Thanks, Rhea. But I need to be here."

"Aman, how can you help Mira by falling sick yourself? We all are here. Just go and try and rest. You have not gone home in four days," she said. I could see the grief in her eyes. And the pity too. 
I didn't say anything.

"You know, she is going to come back. Everything she wants is now right here.." Rhea said and smiled at me. 

"I couldn't be everything she wanted, Rhea. If I was, she wouldn't have left me. At that time, I spent thinking how could she throw something perfectly good. But now that I think of it, I have hurt her many times. I did make many stupid mistakes."

"Well, everyone does. So has she. But you both have been together for so long and no matter how many times you guys have fought or separated, I am telling you as her best friend. She is the happiest when she is with you. Maybe sad sometimes but not saddest. Being married to you, having a child with you was one of her dreams that she wanted to be true badly. Also, you have taken really good care of my girl, don't you worry," she added smiling. "She is going to get out of it. But when she does, she is going to need to make herself strong again and also care for a baby. She will need your help. So, go home and rest. Eat something healthy and keep yourself well. Your wife isn't going anywhere."

For the first time in my life, this girl  was making some sense. "Thanks," I said getting up. Giving a call to my driver, I decided to head home for a few hours. Ever since I had gotten back from Mumbai, I had not gone home even once. 

Home. 

It felt so lonely and quite. As I head to the bedroom, I saw a dress lying on the bed. She was planning to wear that evening. I had promised to take her to dinner as soon as I got back. I don't know if I was going crazy but I smelled the dress, it still slightly smelled of her. I clutched the material harder in my hand. 

My eyes were heavy with sleep. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to sleep. I was told she was found fainted on the desk. My mother had the blood cleaned up three days ago. Mira's laptop was right there on the desk as well. This is where she was last time. 

There was a framed picture of both of us on the desk. It was from seven years ago. She was smiling shyly because the picture was clicked by my cousin. 

One of the drawers was slightly opened and I noticed something silver peaking through. As I opened it, there was a wrapped box there. The card on it said, "Aman" with a heart. 

As I opened the package, it revealed itself to be a Rolex box. There was a note attached to it. 

Happy eight years to you, my love. You're not going to save this note but I decided to write one anyway because I think apologies are in order. I know I put us through a lot a lot in the past one year but...

"No wind 

No rain 

Or winter's cold 

Can stop me babe 

If you're gone 

If you fall short of your desires

remember life holds for you one guarantee 

You will always me 

And if you should miss my love 

if you should miss the arms 

that used to hold you so close
or lips that touched yours so tenderly" 

then remember that i love you and I have probably forgotten my passport 

so i'm coming home anyway ;)

cheesy wasn't it ? 

Happy eight years, baby. 

Holding the note close to myself, I finally fell asleep a little. 

She will come back.

She has to.