Event Seven: Vile Village, Part One

Two Months Later:

It was the middle of December, and if Hermione had forgotten that Christmas was approaching, the festive decorations of Diagon Alley would have instantly reminded her. Fairies flitted around the rooftops of all the shops, occasionally dropping down to show off before pedestrians. The streets and air were dotted by nonbursting bubbles in hues of scarlet, green, gold, and silver, which children (and the occasional whimsical adult) would kick into the air as they shuffled by. Doorways dripped with silvery icicles, and window shop displays were lit with everlasting candles. It was like a scene from an enchanted Christmas card.

But of course Hermione had not forgotten that her favorite holiday was approaching, even if it felt more like late spring than winter. Diagon Alley had been charmed to be a most comfortable seventy two degrees, and the snow that dusted her robes was warm and dry. She stood outside the reopened Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, tapping her foot to the beat of some merry Christmas tune as she waited for Malfoy to show up for their spot of gift shopping. Lifting her head, she stuck out her tongue to receive a snowflake.

"Having fun?"

Hermione closed her mouth and smiled. "My two-week holiday starts today, and it's almost Christmas! How could I not be having fun?"

Malfoy opened the door for her and ushered her inside Florean's. She was instantly met with a wall of sound. People were chatting, laughing, and eating their treats. Of course, when they saw Malfoy and her, the witches and wizards lowered their voices, presumably so the topic of their conversation could not be overheard. As if she couldn't figure out what they were talking about.

In the three months since that first article declared she and Malfoy a couple, Hermione had appeared in the Daily Prophet more times than in the year after the War. Considering she was part of the Golden Trio, that was saying something. Something very stupid, in her opinion. Why people were more interested in her non-existent relationship exploits than her post-war accomplishments was beyond her. Much as Hermione had grown accustomed to the outrageous stories, she still found them ridiculous.

As they waited in line, Malfoy turned to her. "Any holiday plans?"

"No, I'm going to stay at home and just relax for once. I have so many movies I need to catch up on. You'll have to come over and watch with me."

"That might be a problem as I've resolved to never watch another of your muggle movies ever again."

"I saw you smiling during Pride and Prejudice." Hermione poked him in the shoulder, grinning. "Don't even try to deny it."

"I'm not denying it. I did smile. At the end. Because it was over."

She knew he was lying, buy that was alright. Christmas was near. She had other things to discuss with him anyway. "I actually do have something else planned."

"Yes?"

"On Christmas Eve night, I'm going with my family to King's College for the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. It's kind of a Granger tradition we used to have before I started going to Hogwarts. With the war over and things finally settled down, we were hoping to start it again." Hermione turned away, looking at the overhead menu display though she knew what she would be ordering. It never changed. "You should come."

Malfoy didn't answer, so Hermione snuck a peek at him from the corner of her eye. One of his hands was at his neck, rubbing it. He was uncomfortable, but she had dealt with that before. He would eventually cave.

She now looked over at him, eyebrows arched in expectation. "Anytime now? It's almost our turn to order."

Malfoy dropped his arm to his side, scowling at her. "Yes, I'm quite aware, thank you. Unfortunately, I will have to decline. You know my feelings about these so-called muggle field trips."