Event Elevent: Grim Grotto, Part Two

Exactly one hour later, Hermione heard a rapping at her hotel door.

Taking a last look in the mirror, she smoothed out her now dry dress and tamed hair.

It would have to do. Slipping on her sandals, she left her room.

Draco looked her over, and she decided to return the favor. He was wearing jeans and a white polo shirt. They matched.

"Hungry?" Draco asked.

"Starving actually."

Luckily, the restaurant wasn't far from the hotel they were staying at, and they made the trip in no time at all. Expecting a very elegant food establishment, Hermione was surprised when Draco ushered her into a small mom and pop joint. They were quickly seated and given menus and wine.

Hermione looked warily at the blood red liquid. Would it really be wise to drink it, given how lately she always seemed to feel slightly tipsy around Draco to begin with? Probably not. She pushed the wineglass away and asked for some water.

"You're really going to drink water?" Draco asked. The look of disbelief mirrored that of their waiter.

"What's wrong with water?" she asked, clearing her throat.

"We're in Italy. Land of Bacchus. God of the vine... inspirer of ecstasy," Draco winked at her and pushed the wine back to her. After taking their orders, the waiter walked away with a smirk on his face.

"Also inspirer of madness," Hermione reminded before she took a small sip. The alcohol burned down her throat, warming her insides. But she knew that with her, a little bit went a long way, so she pushed the drink away again, refusing to have any more.

"You could use a little madness in your life," Draco said, smiling at her.

If Draco knew that at that moment madness was equivalent to pulling him across the table and kissing him smack dab in the middle of the restaurant, Hermione doubted he would be suggesting such things.

Yes, a little madness would set her up nicely, before it ruined her life. Nope, no madness then. She needed all her wits about her. And she had a really low tolerance for alcohol.

"So, what do you want to do during our free day?"

Hermione leaned in, suddenly excited. "I know it's a bit far, but I was hoping we could go to Venice. I've never been. Is that OK?"

"Whatever you want. After all, you successfully negotiated with the Caprese mermaids. How many women can say that?"

None. Not even her. No matter how Draco tried to spin it, that meeting would have been a disaster without him. But Hermione was determined to enjoy her night. That meant no more mermaids and biting her tongue.

Hermione clapped her hands together, thrilled. "Thank you so much. I can't wait."

As they made more detailed plans for their Saturday excursion to Italy's City of Light, the waiter returned with their food.

"So, have you gotten a gift for Pansy's wedding?" Hermione asked, twirling her fork in her pasta.

From the look on his face, it appeared that Draco had not. "When is that again?" he asked.

"Next weekend."

Draco rolled his eyes. "I don't understand her rush to marry. They've only been engaged for a month. That's hardly enough time for me to get her a present. Or to plan a proper wedding."

"She sent the places where they are registered with the invitation. It's not that difficult to figure out."

"I didn't say it was difficult; it's just bothersome. I'll suppose I'll have Sharon purchase the most expensive gift when I get back on Monday."