Event Eleven: The Grim Grotto, Part One

Hermione pushed open the door to her room with a bang. It did nothing to relieve the annoyance that was simmering below her surface. She stared as the door rocked back and forth on its hinges, feeling slightly guilty for her outburst. It wasn't even her door. Shutting it softly, she leaned against it, taking a few deep breaths.

Inhale.

It was just a meeting.

Exhale.

It actually went rather well, all things considered.

Unsteady inhalation.

Stupid mermaids.

Semi-loud scream.

Needless to say, her breathing techniques didn't really help.

Flinging her briefcase on the bed, Hermione stalked over to the closet and pulled out a light and airy sundress. It didn't give her the same burst of joy it had when she had purchased it a few days ago.

She let her skirt slide off her body, leaving it on the ground where it had pooled around her feet. Making quick work of the buttons down her shirtfront, she shrugged out of both jacket and top. They joined the steadily growing heap of clothes on the floor, along with a pair of pantyhose and her heels.

She had seriously overdressed for the meeting.

Grabbing her dress and holding it to her underwear-clad body, she walked over to the mirror. Lowering the dress for a second, she analyzed her reflection, but soon gave up.

Slipping the light cotton shift over her head, she cinched the bright blue sash around her waist. Feeling slightly better, she rolled her neck to release further tension. What she needed was to forget that the meeting had even happened. There were so many other fun things to do, and she was not about to let the previous hours ruin her enjoyment.

Grabbing her sunglasses, Hermione padded barefoot across her hotel room, pushing aside the sheer curtain separating her from a most breathtaking view.

The hotel was built into the Italian hillside and stepping onto the balcony was almost like stepping out onto air or into another world, but without any fear of falling or flying. The sun reflected off the waves of the sea, which shimmered like liquid abalone. Hermione raised herself on her tiptoes, extending her arms out wide to the sides.

Hermione had been thrilled to discover that her first business trip was to Italy. She had found out the Monday after that night at the park with Draco and Teddy. That night had really taken its toll, and she was thankful for the needed space from Draco.

That was until she learned he would be coming along.

The project he had been working on with Sharon over that weekend had actually been a proposal for a company whose headquarters were on the Mediterranean island of Capri. Being the thoughtful wizard that he was, Draco thought Hermione should come with him and make inroads with the mermaid population there. One of his contacts set up a meeting with the mysterious underwater citizens, who rarely interacted with the outside world. It was a great opportunity, and she would be stupid to let it pass her by.

Of course, this particular species of mermaid had to dislike females. Close cousins to the Sirens, the Caprese mermaids did not have voices that would drive men wild with deadly desire, but their beauty was legendary. So were their flirtatious natures. Much more receptive to the opposite sex, Hermione needed all the male wit and charm she could have at her disposal, and as Draco reminded her, no one possessed those attributes quite like him. She had no intention of asking for his help, but he had volunteered himself, and since she did not want to inform him that she was insanely irritated by the idea of him becoming attracted to one of the beautiful mermaids, she had to play along.