ix.

it takes courage to let go of the familiar and embrace the new.

Lucille's stomach was in knots as she paced catering in Worcester, Massachusetts; she couldn't tell if she was excited or nervous.

The night of the first WWE draft since 2011 and everyone seemed to be on edge. Couples feared separation as others feared losing opportunity they've been chasing for months. Some began predicting where others would end up, causing the nerves to fly.

At a nearby table, Rami resisted the urge to get up and join her. Sure, his nerves were getting to him too, but he didn't want them to show. He was on the fence in his career, nothing big going on but not jobbing either. Like purgatory, he was just there. He hoped that the draft would bring about more opportunities for title shots.

"Cille, will you settle? You're stressing me out." From a neighboring table, Allen called to his best friend. She just huffed and continued to pace in spite. The man rolled his eyes and retreated for the hallway. Where he was going, Rami wasn't sure.

"Lucy, it's going to be okay." Kevin spoke up.

Out of all the people in the back, Lucy found that she bonded most with Allen, Rami, and Kevin. Maybe it was because of their common ethnicity, or because they had been a constant help since her debut. They kept her in line and wanted the best for her. She was grateful for the them and hoped that the draft would keep them together.

"Kevin's right. No matter what happens, we're going to be here to help. You're not doing this alone." Rami reassured, hoping his words would reach her.

She slowed down momentarily, but continued to pace. Not only was it unhealthy for her to feel so nervous, but it began to worry everyone around her. Rebecca and Ashley looked on nervously, causing them to get worked up too.

Not to long after, Allen reappeared with Shane in tow. He explained the situation, but Shane waved him off, saying he had it under control.

"Lucille." Shane's voice called. Lucy stopped in her tracks, her back to the man. He approached her and placed a thoughtful hand on her shoulder, "Stop worrying yourself. I made you a promise when you started here four months ago, remember? I told you I wouldn't let Stephanie ruin your career. That's a promise I hold firm. So, please, for our sake and yours, calm down and relax. We don't need you so uptight before your match. Go out there and have fun, don't worry about the draft, okay?"

Lucy let out a deep breath and nodded her head slowly. Shane then gave her a small pat on the back and sent her towards her locker room. Ashley and Rebecca followed in suit to get ready for the show. When she was out of sight, Shane let out a sigh of his own.

"I need you three to do me a favor, and I'm asking as a friend, not your boss." He turned back towards the men. They perked up and nodded. He stuck his hands in his pockets and bit at the inside of his cheek, "Protect her. Be the men who stay by her side and protect her, especially when she feels like she has no one."

"You can count on us, Shane." Rami's voice was full of determination. Kevin and Allen promised as well.

Shane smiled and thanked the trio before heading back to his office to finish getting ready. The three men looked at one another, the task starting to sink in their minds. Allen smiled towards the best friends; he really was the linchpin between them and the woman. They knew he would always protect her, but when he wasn't around, it was up to them to step up to the plate. Rami never felt so honored.

As the match between Mercedes and Lucy came to a close, everyone watched in anticipation for the shows picks. Mercedes and Lucy were told to stay in the ring until the picking was done. The Canadian wished she was anywhere but that ring at that time. With Stephanie staring her down at the top of the ramp, goosebumps covered her skin and she felt like throwing up.