Chapter 4 - A Platform

The night air was relaxing for once. It wasn't too hot, it wasn't too cold, the air wasn't too thin, and the atmosphere wasn't too calm. She took In her surroundings to tell her if they were safe.

The animals were calling, the wind was blowing, and the sensors around the land were silences. Thanks to kick, this place was nearly impossible to sneak up on.

Thinking of her friend, her heart fell heavy. Of course she missed Sanchez and haze, but kick was different. He was a child, immature, loud, young, stupid, and impatient; but the guy was her best friend.

There was nobody else who knew her like he did. Most of the time, he was a complete idiot, but when she needed him to be, he was there; and a man while he was. The guy always knew what to say, he always knew how to chase the nightmares away: and that's what she missed the most.

There were no romantic feelings they had towards one another, but the love was visible for anyone to see. She shared a love with all of her boys. They were her family, or the closest thing she ever had to one.

They built this place from the ground up. It was a pillar of what they were. Secretive, supportive, strong, and tall. Each putting in their own input of how to build it. Kick handled all electrical, most of it solar and wired untapable. Sanchez with the structure and layout of the building. Haze with the transportation of materials, groceries, and anything needed, and Calvin to make it feel like a home.

This place was for more than just the team though.

Long ago, when they first got together, walker had always dreamed of going to Montana. Being able to escape, escape to a place where he could go fishing, go outside without having to be afraid of crosshairs. A place where he could grow old, where he wasn't afraid to die. It was where he wanted to be, so they built it for him.

Now though, it rested with her.

The ache and pain of the fact that she was the only one to share the memories of building this place anymore- it hurt more than it should.

So, sadly, Calvin looked up towards the plexiglass box that was mounted at the middle wall of the house outside.

It was a platform, protected from the elements, high enough to look over the lake, mountains,  fields, and forests that lay before them. A platform that held Walkers Ashes; and now, her boys tags.

It didn't matter how many times she said it, Calvin couldn't thank Aisha enough for recovering them. Max's troops collected them, and Aisha made it a point to get them back. That meant so much more to her than aisha would ever know.

Somewhere behind her within the glass door, Calvin could hear the kids laughing.

At this- mustard rose his head and looked in curiosity.  The two were used to an abnormally quiet house, so now it seemed to be driving him crazy.

With a smile, Calvin let his head and let out a breath. "You're okay buddy."

At this, he dropped his head and rested flat against the porch.

It was all going to change tomorrow. It wouldn't be like this in the morning.

As soon as the sun came up, Calvin needed to leave. The others would be safe here, there was no doubt about it. It was impossible to spot from the air, and as long as you were in the house, thermal cameras couldn't detect them either. It was all thanks to kick. Even in the afterlife, her boys were watching out for her.

It didn't matter how far apart they were, death couldn't even stop it. They were always looking out for one another, they were a team. Somewhere above, her boys were watching her.