Chapter 15 - Something He Never Thought He Would See

Jake felt his back tense, the muscles contracting with every breath his took. Because of it, the length of his awakening was more drawn out than the previous day. A groan left his dry throat, his eyes peeled open one by one, and the only thing that greeted him comfortingly was the fresh breeze coming from the ocean's shoreline. 

It was a weird setting to wake up to, something that he wasn't really familiar with. However, looking around, he noticed the only thing he really knew was missing. 

Calvin wasn't anywhere to be seen. 

"Cal?" he stood up, the blanket falling off of his bare chest. As soon as the air was exposed to him, a chill went down his body. Not as big of the chill though as when the bathroom door opened. 

Jake immediately turned taking sight of her. The steam rolled off of her shoulders, long droplets of water trailing down her body almost taunting him. What killed him though was her wet long hair, the ends of each strand catching her bare skin. Then her eyes, how they so tiredly looked to him. "what's wrong?" She asked smooth and calm. 

The words didn't come to him, they couldn't. His mouth was cracked open, eyes trailing to somewhere other than her. Yes there were scars, and he caught every one of them, but he had seen most of them before. "I uh-" he cleared his throat. "I just didn't know where you were." 

She nodded, eyes looking up and down as he avoided looking at her. 

Jake was a toned guy. His chest defined- abs even more, but he wasn't a body building muscular type. He could hold his own, and that's all he needed. Calvin was attracted to him- and in some levels she hoped that he was picking up on it. 

"I went out this morning, got a map of the city. It should be on your computer." She nodded towards it catching his eye. "Left the beach for you, so suit up. We leave in a half hour." 

Then, turning her back to him, Calvin somewhat grinned feeling his eyes on her. 

Before entering the bathroom once again, Calvin made sure to pause, turn, and lock eyes with him one more time- just like she knew she would. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake zipped his backpack closed; everything he needed was inside. Cameras, taps, wires, a weapon if needed. Today was their last day of surveillance. 

"Jake, I need your help." Calvin's voice carried out through the room. 

As soon as he turned away from the balcony and towards her, Jake's heart stopped. "I thought this wasn't a vacation." He breathed almost in a whisper. 

She was wearing  a brown silky swimsuit, the two piece clothing gripping her slender body tight enough that he wouldn't think that she could breathe. this time, he spoke loud enough for her to hear. "Uh, with what?" 

In her hands, she was tampering with some kind of device. Quickly, the soldier approached him, the small dot of a machine in her hand. "A friend made this for me." At first he didn't think she noticed how close she was standing, her eyes down at her hands. "But believe it or not- I don't know how it works." 

"I thought you didn't have friends?" Jake's voice was low while looking down to her.  

This immediately made her grin, eyes peeking up to him. "More of an accomplice I guess."

"Okay, I'll buy it. What does it do?" He spoke up taking a hold of the device. 

"It cover's me." she watched his hands before handing it over.