Chapter 20 - Doing His Part

The steering wheel was hot beneath her touch. The pain of it though, it drew her attention away from everything she just walked away from. So, Calvin kept it there.

She let the pain soak her from the inside out.

Nothing had ever felt like this: nothing.

It was something she just couldn't describe.

The roads were dead, the morning hours not a popular time for the awakening of Jamacia. Calvin couldn't complain though, it gave her a calming time to be lost in her thoughts.

She had it planned out- the boys would take care of the city life and the civilians. Calvin would take on Simmons and his men.

To her left, she took a peak at the rising sun. It was beautiful, slow, and it rose like it was just for her.

Maybe somewhere on the other side of that sun- her boys were waiting for her.

Watching her.

Guiding her through her last mission.

Their wisdom was always with her. Always.

Thinking of the boys again, Calvin reached her hand to her chest where the tags would normally be. However, they weren't there anymore. Instead, her fingers grazed her bare skin where the tags used to lay.

"I'm coming boys.. " she sighed speeding the car up a little more. "I'm coming home."

--------------------------------------------------------

Jake couldn't even move. Every muscle in his body was still, relaxed, and more comfortable than it had been in a long time. Beneath him, the sheets cracked and static from the fabric met his ears.
The blankets were warm, soft, and wrapped him up just right. Next to him though, that's what made his heart soar. He could feel the stiffness beside him, the long body pressed up against his.

What happened last night was real.

He finally had Cal, in every way that he wanted.

Jake fought months, years just to get close to her. Now, he had her trust. Jake had it completely and he had never been so happy.

With a smile on his face, Jake rolled to his side, cracked his eyes open and took in a breath seeing the sun just barely peeking through the curtains.

As soon as he was fully rotated over though, Jake stopped feeling his hand hit a cool fabric instead of her back like he expected. It was a stack of pillows, all lined up beside him to imitate her body.

"Cal?" He looked around in confusion between the bed and the room.

As soon as he was able to focus his sleep blurred vision however, his heart stopped.

Jensons gear, his computer, all the files.

Everything was gone.

"Calvin?!" He called out a little louder feeling his heart start to beat faster.

Hearing no response, Jake leapt  out of bed and thew on his clothes. Then, making his way across the room, he hissed seeing all her weapons and gear gone as well.

All that was left was a folded piece of paper on the coffee table where his laptop used to be. Jake froze looking at it, then he slowly stepped forward taking it into his hand.

On the front was his name in her hand writing. Jake knew what this meant, and as he read it- he didn't want to believe it was true.

But it was.