Never Forgotten

Here we are! The final chapter!

I guess I'll just keep writing while I'm still motivated. Hopefully I can get through at least a few chapters of Book 3 :) 

Book 3 title still uncertain at the moment, but look out for it!

Chapter 28

Sasuke fell to the ground as the wisps of golden chakra disappeared. He gasped for air before glancing to the side, where Kira lay on the ground, limp once again.

When she'd wrapped him up and pulled him along, she had ripped kunai pouch from his thigh, and now they were spilled out on the ground beside him. He bent down to pick them up, shoving them in an empty pouch, before frowning upon seeing something that didn't belong.

It was a small piece of paper, yellowed on the edges after having been in his pouch for so long. The writing had started to fade, but the message was seared into his memory as clear as day.

He folded it up and put it into the same pouch he'd stuffed the kunais into. He glanced at Kira. He didn't have to keep his promise. He could walk away right now, and it would all be over for a while.

Suddenly, he laughed, unable to help himself. Who was he kidding? His mind had been set ever since he'd had that conversation with Kira. There were two people he looked up to in this world, and one of them was dead. The other was lying right in front of him.

"You're quite reckless, you know that?" he said, reaching out and hooking an arm under her knees and the other under her neck. He lifted her up easily and continued on his way, heading the same way as before.

Soon, Kira's teammates would surely find them. He wasn't masking his chakra anymore, after all, and they weren't far from Itachi's hideout. By now, the Hokage had probably sent out reinforcements. Or, he thought, remembering the alliance, the Tsuchikage and Kazekage might have sent out their own troops, all to rescue Kira Izanami.

He had long since considered emotions a weak point, but both Kira and Naruto had one thing in common: they had never, ever given up on him. They had both fought him and lost, but they'd never given up. They'd taken every chance they could to go after him.

Even he had to appreciate that.

But most importantly was the small paper that was in his pouch even now, after so many years. He had tried so hard to forget. He really had.

But in the end, he hadn't forgotten. And he knew he never would.

And so, Sasuke Uchiha strolled along contentedly, waiting for someone to discover them, waiting to see his old teammates once again.

***

When I next woke up, I was in a bed. There was a beeping sound, so I was in the hospital. The ceiling was white, as always. I turned my head to the side and saw all of Team Seven sitting there, chatting quietly. Outside, the desert stretched on for miles and miles.

We were in Suna.

" – so easily," Sasuke was saying. "I'm not giving in to you, Naruto!"

"I could say the same!" Naruto declared, and the two of them glared daggers at each other, as usual. I turned my attention back to the ceiling. Itachi, I thought, I've done it – at least for now.

My heart rate must've spiked or something, because Sakura took note that I was awake. "Kira-sensei!" she exclaimed, hurrying over to me. "Are you feeling alright?"

I blinked at her. "I'm fine, I think. How long was I out?"

"About two days," she said. "Only one since we brought you here."

"I see..."

"You did well, sending us that message," said Kakashi, smiling at me from behind his mask. "Luckily, we were fairly nearby. We were able to get there not long after you collapsed, according to Sasuke."

"That's because we stopped near Itachi's hideout," said Sasuke, as monotone as usual. "Are you guys stupid?"

They all turned to stare at him. "What's that supposed to mean?" Naruto demanded. Sasuke sighed. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"What exactly did you say to Madara when you left?" I asked, smiling. He glanced over at me and understood that I'd caught on.

"I told him that I would think about it, and that I would likely go to Konoha. And that I would take you with me, since you're a valuable ally."

I shrieked with laughter. Kakashi seemed unsure of whether or not to try to calm me down. "Y-You beat him at his own game, didn't you? I thought it was weird what you said to me, too – and you could've killed me while I was dealing with Itachi's 'gift,' but you just stood there – ha! You're great after all, Ducky – "

The door flew open, and Gaara hurried inside. "What's wrong?"

We all stared at him.

"I heard a scream," he explained.

"That was me, sorry," I said, still smiling to myself. "I was overcome with joy and laughter."

He gave me a weird look, as though asking if I needed to be sedated.

"I'm fine," I assured him. He didn't look assured. "No, really, Gaara, I'm fine. I'm happy. Good stuff happened."

He gave me one last look before nodding. "Glad you're back." He left, closing the door behind him.

"So what's the plan now?" I asked, and the room instantly grew colder. I frowned. "Have you been in contact with Lady Tsunade and the others?"

"We have, but where to go from here becomes complicated," said Kakashi, looking weary. "Not to mention that communications have been more difficult than usual for the Kages."

Oh. That was right – I'd been out for over a week. I quickly reconnected the mind links, receiving joyous comments from both Lady Tsunade and Lord Onoki at my return. Gaara, who'd just been in the room, only said a quiet "welcome back."

"Okay," I said, thinking about the matter seriously. "Sasuke, back me up here – Madara will start a war, right? He wanted you to help him, but you've escaped."

Sasuke gave me a silent nod.

"That means," I said, "that the Five Kages will need to be careful when they meet."

Everyone in the room nodded in understanding.

I smiled. "Let's go kick some Uchiha butt."

--END--

d/pu