Chapter 8

"What?" Mr. Raizyada was shocked to learn that his daughter- in - law was admitted in a hospital. In an hour, it was already blasting off in news channels. Viren was still asleep from the sedatives. If he knew; he'd rush to her, so Viren's TV cable was cut off. His phone hidden. And him, when he was awake, was lied to.

             They had managed to feed him excuses as to why she wasn't in the hospital with him. The sedatives were of a huge help as he slept well after that.

          ****

        Janvi couldn't help but let out a gasp when Dhruv was hit. His cheek had turned due to the impact but she saw his jaw tighten. Before he could say anything, she cut him off.

            "Leave." She said as rudely as she could muster. His head snapped towards her and he frowned at her in anger. She looked away from him. She couldn't take the brunt of his scathing look. He stormed off after that. She breathed a sigh of relief. Commissioner Dhariya Kapadia left after giving her a sneer too.

            Her senior had scolded her for over an hour stating how she was ignorant, for not knowing it was the commissioner's son. If only he knew, how well she knew who he was. She took it all with her head lowered. She sighed after she was relieved.

           People who say education gets you to great places are liars. Education just gets you to an extent. Then it's all money. If she wasn't a maid's daughter, if she was the daughter of a minister, then she would've climbed her career ladder faster too. In her 27 years of existence she had learnt, money trumps all, and rich people never mingled with poor people. They married rich people and give birth to kids who would become just like them, rich. Dhruv did warn her that it would be like this. That she'd desperately fail and she'd regret leaving him. She had proved him wrong by topping in the academy and gaining the post of INS but it was short lived as still after four long years, she was still an INS, she regretted it now.

Her thoughts came to a standstill as she saw the TV screen flashing Aghanya's picture. She grabbed the remote and increased the volume. She listened carefully to the announcer.

"Aghanya Jha Raizyada, the heir to the Jha empire and wife of the heir of Raizyada hotel groups, was found bleeding in Diana Hotel, inside a room, with what seemed to be her lesbian lover, an escort, in the aftermath after what seemed like a squabble gone wrong. It is presumed that her lover had allegedly blackmailed her, threatening to reveal Mrs. Aghanya's sexuality, and in a bout of anger had slashed her neck. Then realising her fault, she had a panic attack where she hurt her cheek and then proceeded to attempt to take her own life by slashing her wrist with the same knife. It is also presumed that Mrs. Aghanya has a long record of mental illnesses and an previous suicide attempt to her name. Currently Mrs. Aghanya is under emergency care in Sandra Hospital. This is Neelam Sharma and you're watching ARS News."

Janvi felt shook to the core. Not only had they made her into a closeted lesbian but also a mentally ill woman. She knew it was all done on behalf of the commissioner. Not once was Dhruv's name mentioned and she was sure, it would never be.

She rushed to the hospital to check on Aghanya's condition first. The news had spread so fast; courtesy of the commissioner; that there were hoards of press outside Sandra hospital. She barely entered the hospital. Her khakhi uniform was at the least useful for this. Aghanya had had an surgery but still was in critical condition inside the ICU. The ICU was guarded by two officers. She tried to talk to them but they refused to let her enter. She looked around and saw none of her family except her parents. She frowned, where was her husband though?

Confused, she called Viren's phone but it was switched off. Viren was shot and hospitalised but there was no way in hell, he'd stay there if he had heard of the news. So she sighed and let it be.