Chapter 19

"What?" Dhruv asked stunned .

   "I'm ready to get married."

    ***

   Inevitably Dhruv handed Kushi a warm cup swirling with coffee. He sat beside her holding his cup between his hands.

     "Are you certain?"

      "Yes." She addressed him.

Dhruv sighed. He watched her sip the contents in the mug and after she was done, she swung to him.

"I have some conditions and I expect them to be fulfilled if we are to be married."

Dhruv looked at her surprised, "Yes. Anything."

"Listen to them first and then agree." She paused. "I want my mother to stay here. My sister cannot take care of my mother. What's more, her medicines are costly but I will find some work from home and..."

"No need," he cut her off. "I'll pay for her medicines. There's a spare bedroom in this apartment. Your mother can stay there." He stood up and extended his hand, "You want to take a look at the room?"

***

Janvi paced the room in panic. She thought Kushi would be home when she hadn't picked her up but she wasn't at home.

She tried calling her mobile but it was switched off. Kushi's scooty was nowhere to be seen. Janvi pressed her forehead as a headache had started to bother her.

The door opened and Janvi watched as Kushi came in. "WHERE WERE YOU?!" She asked and she saw Kushi wearing a t-shirt. "And who's t-shirt is that?" Kushi didn't need to reply as she saw the culprit entering the flat behind Kushi.

"Dee." Kushi said all joking aside. "I have chosen to wed Dhruv."

Janvi shut her eyes and smothered a breath. "What?"

"I've chosen to wed. Wed Dhruv."

"I heard it the first time! Are you mad? Marry Dhruv, she says!" Janvi threw her hands in desperation.

"Go inside. I'll talk to your sister." Dhruv addressed Kushi and she nodded and passed Janvi, locking herself inside their mother's room.

"Didn't you comprehend what I said last time?! I told you to leave her alone!" She poked his chest.

"I got it. I don't think me staying away is the right thing to do when all that has happened to her is because of me."

"You understood and still seek her?! What kind of logic is that?" She said exasperated.

I...." Dhruv ran a hand through his hair. "Regardless of the amount you cherish your sister, you will remain this way? Not marrying? With your sister, until the end of time?"

"Indeed! I will!"

"No you won't. Regardless of whether you would not like to get hitched. Do you think your sister prefers the idea of you yielding everything for her?"

Janvi looked away and stayed silent. She knew it bothered and burdened Kushi but her marrying would mean her leaving her mother and Kushi alone.

"Can you find someone, anyone, to marry Kushi other than me? If you can, I will back off."

"Are you fucking insane?! You think Kushi would like it if she knew that you married her because of some sort of atonement?"

"No. But she doesn't have to know. Listen, I like Kushi and I think she likes me too. We do have chemistry. And I don't mind spending my life with her. It seems right..."