1

The feeling of being unconscious is one of the strangest feelings Newt can name. The thing about fainting, for him at least, is he couldn't remember what happened before. He couldn't remember the last thing he was doing, he only had some vague memories.

Yet, nothing he remembered could explain to him why he was laying down in a holding cell at MACUSA.

His eyes opened slowly, the eyelids peeling off his eyes feeling like peeling apart glue. He couldn't tell why he was unconscious, he didn't feel any pain, if anything he just felt... drained. Like he had lost all his energy. As he sat up, he looked around.

He was alone. That wasn't normal, because although he only had faint memories, there was one thing he knew: ______ had been with him.

As he sat up, someone who had been standing around the corner emerged. A familiar face.

"Tina?" he asked, looking at her. She wasn't alone, standing behind her was another wizard he recognized, Abernathy.

"Mister Scamander, you're finally awake," she said in a matter-of-fact tone. Although he had been unconscious for a while, it didn't seem like she was too concerned. She had a business look about her, which was abnormal. She usually was never that way when Newt was around, even when she was being sharp with him. She never acted strictly business with Newt.

Because unlike a lot of wizards at MACUSA, she had a sense of humility.

"What, what am I doing here?" he began, trying to find his words. His eyes drifted away from Tina, he couldn't bear to look at her right now. He was too confused. "Where's ______?"

As soon as ______'s name left Newt's lips, Tina and Abernathy exchanged glances. It was as if they were communicating without saying a word, and it only made Newt even more confused. "Well?" he asked, hoping to get their attention back. "Where is she?"

Abernathy spoke this time, ignoring Newt's questions completely. "We need to speak with you," he told Newt, and the doors to the cell opened. He grabbed Newt, and Newt didn't have the strength to react or fight back. He was too busy trying to remember why he was there.

He went back in his memories. The last thing he could remember was walking around some empty streets, it was getting dark, and he was with ______ and Tina. Maybe someone else was there, but he couldn't remember. He couldn't even remember why they were walking.

How did a walk end up like this?

He was led into a room he recognized: the interrogation room.

Newt sat in the chair, and Tina and Abernathy stood behind him while an interrogator sat across from him. He vaguely recognized them, but not by name. All he knew is that he was part of the Investigative Team that Tina was on. Why can't Tina interrogate me? the question flashed across Newt's mind.

The wizard sitting across from him attempted to make eye contact with Newt, but he just kept staring at the table. He was too much in his own head right now. The wizard cleared his throat and began to speak. "So, Mister Scamander, as you've probably heard, we're in the middle of a crisis here, and we have reason to believe it's inflicted by beasts you brought over."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Newt said in a small voice. "I don't know why or how I got here."

The investigator sighed. "You do know what I'm talking about, your memory is just foggy. Miss Goldstein told us herself that she told you all about the recent cases of Apathy Syndrome."

Apathy Syndrome? Newt wondered in his head. The term wasn't familiar to him, it had to be something they coined for the situation. It didn't match with anything he knew in his book. "Can't have been a beast, I'm not familiar with that term."

"Mister Scamander... do you know where your case is?"

Newt's head shot up at this. As far as he knew, if he didn't have it, he figured MACUSA has impounded it. His heart started beating in his chest, and it felt like it was about to jump out of his throat. "My case is missing?"

The investigator looked behind Newt, making eye contact with Tina and Abernathy. "He didn't have it when I found him," Tina spoke up. "He didn't have anything on him except for what he's wearing."

"Found me?" Newt asked, turning around and looking at Tina. "What do you mean by that?"

"Miss Goldstein brought you in. She said you came to visit her but never made it to her house, so she went out to find you," the investigator explained.

"No, that can't be," Newt began. "The last thing I remember is taking a walk with you and ______. Tina, where is she? Where is ______?"

Once again, everyone in the room exchanged glances when Newt spoke ______'s name. The investigator sighed. "I'm afraid you're right Miss Goldstein," he began. "He's not in his right mind right now. I'll continue my interrogation later."

"What do you mean I'm not in my right mind?" Newt asked, spinning around to face the interrogator. "I just can't remember anything, and I just want to know where ______ is. Please, I'm worried about her."

The way they were all acting when he spoke her name, Newt began to fear the worst. He feared they had obliviated her, or worse. No one seemed to want to say anything. They had no right to obliviate her though, they weren't residents in America, so the laws about relationships between Muggles and wizards didn't apply to them. Sure, people there could still find it wrong, but they couldn't obliviate her. She was out of their jurisdiction.

However, what came next was worse than he imagined.

Tina and Abernathy walked around and stood next to the investigator, and Tina looked Newt dead in the eye as she spoke:

"Newt, ______ never existed."