28

When the group began to enter the factory only to discover it was flooding with dementors, it almost felt like they had met their match. However, Dumbledore just smiled. He brandished his wand. "Like I said before, I have an affinity for dealing with dementors. You guys go ahead, I'll deal with them."

"Let's go get Maverick," Newt decided, looking at Tina, Queenie and Jacob. They were all coming with him, they figured they had a better chance with all of them going than just Newt. Without giving it a second thought, Newt ran through the dementors, and he could see a light shining from behind him. A beautiful, blue-white light. Newt smiled, he knew enough about Patronus to know what that meant.

-

Maverick quickly switched the knife for a wand and pointed it at the door as soon as he heard the sound of the door opening. The group emerged, three wands pointed at him. He was more surprised to see the Muggle he thought he took care of standing before him, completely fine. "I thought I got rid of you," Maverick looked right at Jacob.

"You got to me, but I refused to go down," Jacob told him.

"So did I," Newt pointed his wand at Maverick, but he was mostly looking at ______. She smiled at him and Newt's heart jumped. It was so nice to see her, but he could tell she was exhausted. He turned back to Maverick. "But you can't break my will that easily, especially when it comes to ______. I will never give up."

Maverick shook his head. "It doesn't really matter. Your feelings for her are weak compared to my plan. It's not like your love could save her or stop me."

"Why shouldn't it?" Tina asked. "Expelliarmus!"

The wand flew out from his hands, and Newt pointed at it. "Accio!" he shouted, the wand flying towards him. Once he had it in his hands, he snapped it in half.

Maverick laughed. "Whatever will I do now?" he asked in a sarcastic voice, reaching into his pockets. Once he pulled out his knife, he moved quickly towards ______ and went behind her, putting the knife to her neck. "You really think I would've gone into a fight with wizards and not had a back up plan?"

"Let her go!" Newt yelled, going closer but Maverick pushed the knife further down, the blade pressing against her roughly. She felt like if she moved at all, her neck would get sliced open.

"Drop your wands!" Maverick yelled. "If one of you think about getting creative with any spells, I'll cut her throat open before you can get this knife out of my hands. Do you like those odds?"

Newt looked at Tina and Queenie before dropping his wand. Tina cursed in her head, of course Newt would give in that quickly, he had so much at stake. Queenie dropped her wand, but Tina gripped her tighter. "Tina, drop the wand," Newt told her, but his voice had a pleading undertone.

"Why should we give into him?" Tina asked. "You're playing right into his hands, Newt. He has you in the exact position he wants you."

"What else am I supposed to do?" Newt asked. "I've already almost lost ______ once. I'm not risking losing her again."

Tina shook her head. "It wasn't your fault Newt, it was mine. I should've tried harder, but I'm not giving in this time. As long as he's around, nothing will change. You'll never be safe from him."

"Smart girl," Maverick told her. "But not brave enough. What is your plan, hm? With just one curse, you could play me like an instrument, and you all know that, but you're all weak. You 'heroes' seem to not like using those 'Unforgiveable Curses.' That's why you will never win, you unnecessarily limit yourself."

"Tina, please, drop your wand," Newt pleaded.

Tina looked at Queenie. There was no good way out of this situation, they both knew that. However, Queenie knew that look in Tina's eyes. She had a plan. "I'm sorry Newt. This isn't worth it. I'm going to go help Dumbledore with the dementors, get rid of them, we get rid of Apathy Syndrome once and for all."

Tina turned and left the room and Newt called out for her before turning back to Maverick. "Are you satisfied? Everyone in this room is unarmed."

Maverick raised an eyebrow before releasing the hold on ______'s throat just a little bit. ______ hated this. Being a damsel in distress was beginning to get annoying. As soon as the grip was loosened, she looked at Maverick's knife hand, leaning out and biting him harshly: it was about the only thing that she could do.

That sparked a series of events that began to blur.

Maverick let out a yell, and suddenly, Tina was back in the room. She had apparated behind Maverick. When he recoiled from being bitten, Tina grabbed him from behind and threw him to the floor. He dropped the knife and it slid across the floor. There was a moment where everything was silent and everyone looked at the knife for just one second. The next, it was a mess of bodies reaching for the knife, except for Newt. Newt ran right to ______. He reached her just as soon as Jacob reached the knife and Queenie pressed a heel into Maverick's back.

"Stick to wands. Knives are best used by us without magic," Jacob said, then handed the knife to Newt.

Newt started cutting the roped tying ______ to the chair, and tears flooded her eyes once she realized she was safer now than she had been in a long time. "Newt, I can't begin to tell you how much I missed you and how much I hated saying all of the things I said to you, all I wanted to do was jump into your arms, but..." she was cut off by a sob. She had been holding it all in until now.

Newt undid the last rope and pulled her into his arms, falling to the floor with her. He enveloped her in a tight hug, never wanting to get her go again. "I know," he told her in a soft voice, and she never knew how much she missed that voice until now. "I know, ______. I'm sorry it took so long to find you, but I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere for a long time."

She looked up at him, leaning up and kissing him. She didn't care if it was improper to kiss him so passionately in a room full of his friends, she could care less about who was watching. She had missed him more than anything. She smiled when they released and Newt wiped a tear off her face, gently smiling back at her. His delicately freckled face looked so genuinely happy, happier than he's been in a while.

Tina went up to them, tears in her own eyes as she faced ______. "I'm so sorry," she said, her voice cracking and her eyebrows upturned. "If I had known, I... I should've tried harder that night. I'm so sorry, ______. I know I can never make up for it."

______ gave her a patient smile. "Tina, we were ambushed, and I was useless in that battle. It's not your fault, I can't expect you to have saved everyone in that situation."

"I should've tried harder."

"You tried your best. There's no way you could've known," ______ stood up and smiled at Tina. Tina looked like she had torn herself to pieces about leaving her there. She pulled Tina into a hug. "It's okay, Tina. It's okay."

Queenie was putting Maverick into magical restraints when Dumbledore walked in. "Dementors have been dealt with. It looked like the majority of them had been under a curse, they snapped out of it after a while of you guys being up here."

Newt looked at the broken wand on the floor: Maverick's wand. "How was he keeping all of that up?"

"All that matters now is getting them back to Azkaban," Dumbledore told them. "I'll deal with all of that. You guys should all head home."

Newt looked around the room before he spotted it: his case, hidden away under a box of old cloth. He ran over and picked it up. He took ______'s hand in his. "Let's start enjoying our vacation, hm?" he smiled at her.

______ smiled back at him. "There's nothing I would love more."