7

Three Days Earlier...

Although the room Newt and ______ stayed in a room that had two beds, just like the boat, they slept in separate beds. The beds Tina and Queenie had in that room were far too small to share, they were one-person beds. So instead, they ended up both facing each other, talking for a while before they both went to sleep.

Newt was concerned for ______. There was something about this case that brought back bad memories, and they had hoped to come here to sightsee. To walk around the town, travel a little. Newt didn't want to get involved in another situation.

But he couldn't control everything in his life. He could only hope that they could solve this quickly. But knowing Lethifolds, this wasn't going to be an easy task.

Or a very safe one.

Getting up before the sun was out wasn't a fun thing to do, but it's what they had to do. They had to get an early start on leads to where to look for it, because when nighttime came, it was time to find it. Newt had only ever written about these Lethifolds before, making sure to always keep his distance. It was too dangerous to look for one intentionally, but here he was, doing exactly that.

He woke up slowly, sitting up on his bed. Across the room, ______ was still sleeping in her usual way, no sign of waking up anytime soon. He just smiled before calling out to her. "______," he began. "Wake up, love. We have to go Lethifold-searching."

______ let out a small grunt, and Newt just shook his head, the smile still on his face. That was what she always did when she didn't want to get up. They both hadn't gone to sleep early that night - ______ was worried about what would happen. After all, Newt said Lethifold's attack at night, and ______ knew they were targeting Muggles, so she was terrified. Newt told her to go to sleep and he'd watch over her, but neither of them ended up getting much sleep.

______ turned around in the bed, opening her eyes slowly and looking at Newt. "Just a few more minutes?" she asked, giving him the sweetest expression and eyes she could manage. "Then I'll get up and we'll go searching for the Lethifold."

Newt took one look in her eyes and knew he couldn't say no. Even after all this time, every time ______ asked him a question with that look in her eyes, he could never bring himself to say no. It was his weakness, and by this point, ______ figured it out. "Okay," he told her. "I'm going to go get changed then. Just five minutes, you got it?"

"Mhm," she hummed, already snuggling herself back into bed. Newt leaned down, kissing her temple gently.

"Love you," he whispered, getting his case out and pulling clean clothes out. He changed into a nearly identical outfit, the only change being his pants, going from dark-blue to light-brown. Newt looked over at the clock they had in the room and checked the time. Maybe I'll make sure Tina and Queenie are awake before I wake her, he thought, heading out of the room.

As soon as he walked out the doors, he heard Tina and Queenie's voices, both coming from the kitchen. He didn't really like to eavesdrop before he heard something that caught his attention: ______'s name.

"Queenie, I just don't think bringing ______ is a good idea," Newt heard Tina's voice. "You heard the reports as well as I did. They're targeting no-majs and anything relating to them, and I don't think it would be very safe to bring her with us."

"Well, we can't really leave her here, can we?" Queenie responded, speaking in the sweet tone she always used with her sister. "Wouldn't that be even more dangerous? We shouldn't leave her alone at a time like this."

"You heard Newt, these things only attack at night. She'd be fine staying here during the day, and we'd be home before nightfall anyways."

Newt walked into the kitchen, interceding in the conversation. "I don't think leaving ______ is a good idea at all," he told them, catching both of their attentions. "It's not just that she's at a higher risk for being a Muggle. Trust me – I know ______. She wouldn't just sit around and do nothing while we're out there. She could go looking for us, which is even more dangerous. Plus, it's not just that..." Newt trailed off. "She's pretty scared of being targeted. I don't want to leave her alone at a time like this."