12

Even as Newt agreed to help Dumbledore find whoever did this, he still had so many questions running around in his mind. He planned to ask them all, but he knew now was not the time or the place. Abernathy was going to wake up sometime, and as soon as he did, he would alert MACUSA and Newt would be a fugitive for the second time in the United States. Why can't I ever have one normal vacation?

Dumbledore seemed to be thinking along the same lines, because the next moment, he spoke, "We need to get away from here now. It's not very good for a fugitive to be standing around the place he's wanted."

"Yes, of course," Newt muttered, looking away from Dumbledore. His shyness and humility seemed to come back all at once. ______ usually made him feel comfortable, as if he could say anything and it wouldn't go wrong. With her gone, the opposite seemed to be true. He missed her more every minute, and he wanted to get her back as soon as possible. She had to be safe, right?

Newt hoped desperately that she was.

Dumbledore had been staying in a quiet part of one of the lesser-known wizard districts in New York, a part inaccessible to Muggles. The whole place would move to reveal homes, but no Muggle batted an eye at it. Newt followed him there, entering the home and feeling the temperature different. It wasn't a traditional 'hot summer night,' the air was chilly and a warm place to walk into was like feeling a blanket envelop his senses.

The room they stayed in wasn't very large – everything fit into one room. The bed, couch, kitchen, and even a small living space. The only thing that was separate was a bathroom, something Newt was grateful for. Newt didn't even wait for Dumbledore to settle down before he started asking one of the many questions on his mind.

"There's one thing I don't understand about all of this, why did the Dementors stop attacking ______ and just take her?" Newt inquired. "Why would someone do that? These Dementors have been attacking Muggles without mercy, but when it came to ______, they simply knocked her out."

"Consider this," Dumbledore began. "According to MACUSA, your case is also missing, correct?"

Newt's heart sank as he was reminded the two things he loves the most were both taken from his. "Yes, that's correct."

"The two can't be unrelated. I suspect that whoever took ______ also took your case, meaning they at least have an idea of what's inside it."

"Why would they think she knew anything about it though? ______ is a Muggle, to them, there would be no reason for her to know the contents of that case."

Dumbledore shrugged nonchalantly. "The only explanation I can think of is that they knew that she and the case were connected in some way. That wouldn't be too surprising, considering I already suspect they knew what was in the case when they took it."

That was an answer Newt could live with. Mostly because it gave him some assurance that ______ was still alive. If they needed her to figure out anything about the case, they would need her alive, right?

It was a shred of hope Newt planned to cling onto.

Newt still had more questions. "What made you come over here in the first place? There would have to be something very interesting about this case for you to make the trip over here."

Dumbledore drew in a long breath. "I suspected that this was the work of Grindlewald at first and I wanted to come over and personally investigate. However, the very few eyewitness accounts I've been able to gather show that this is the work of another wizard."

The answer set off an interest in Newt's mind. "What accounts? What do they say?"

"How they attack Muggles, and the occasional wizard they're seen. The descriptions vary some, but they all agree on a scar that doesn't belong to Grindlewald."

Newt's heart sank. He had a fear in his mind, one he hoped was just a silly fear. "What scar?" he asked, his voice wavering.

"A scar across his face. They are described as claw marks from kind of accident. It's the only thing all of the eyewitness accounts could agree on."

Newt thought his heart would actually stop beating. It felt like a hummingbird's heartbeat, but at the same time, it felt like it stopped moving all together.

It all made sense. Why he knew what the case would contain. Why he took ______ with him. Why she wasn't given the Dementor's Kiss like the other victims. It all suddenly made a terrible amount of sense.

Dumbledore saw the look of shock and horror across the young author's face and grew worried. "What is it, Newt? Do you know this man?"

Newt was too horrified to form a sentence. He just looked at Dumbledore with a blank stare before muttering the name of the wizard on his mind.

"Maverick."

~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, it's me, the most inconsistent updater in the world. I'm going to try to fix that, expect the next five chapters (at LEAST) to be updated on time before everything falls apart.

I update so infrequently at this point, I may as well be YGS. However, like YGS, I'm making a comeback, guys.

— Jay.