9

The Day Before...

The say dragged on as Tina went to work and the three of them were left at home, waiting. The plan was to head to the site as soon as Tina got home. Something about the day made them all want to stay in. Even knowing that they usually hunt at night and having an idea where they could be, something didn't feel safe about going out. There was something wicked hanging in the air, and they could all feel it. Queenie was pacing, she had some thoughts floating around in her head that just would not leave her alone. About half an hour before Tina was supposed to get home, Queenie finally spoke her mind.

She had been in the kitchen, stress-baking as she thought about what she wanted to do. ______ and Newt sat on the couch, ______ laying across Newt's lap as she looked up at him and they talked. Technically, the way they were sitting was 'improper,' something ______ was sure Tina was going to point out when she got home, but they didn't care. This is how they acted at home, and this was their vacation. They were going to act as they pleased. Queenie walked into the living room and walked in front of the couch, catching their attention. ______ sat up straight and looked at her, she had a serious expression on her face. "I can't go with you guys," she told them, concern on her face.

"What?" Newt asked, surprised. "Why not?"

"I would, I really would... but something keeps bothering me. Something about this night just doesn't feel right, and knowing what kind of people they keep targeting..."

Queenie trailed off, but ______ knew what she was trying to say loud and clear. "You're worried for Jacob," ______ said matter-of-factly.

"I can't help but be. The area isn't close to his shop, but I'm still worried. It didn't bother me so much up until now, but I want to be near him. Newt said the only way to defend against these is a patronus, and that's something Jacob doesn't have. I want to be there to protect him, even if nothing happens..." Queenie trailed off. "It just keeps bothering me."

Newt was silent for a moment before speaking. "You should probably go now then," Newt told her. "We'll be heading out in a while. What do you want me to tell Tina?"

A faint smile appeared on Queenie's face. "Just tell her... tell her that I couldn't handle going out tonight and that I want to be alone. She'll understand. If not... tell her it's about Jacob."

"Won't she suspect then?" ______ asked.

"Maybe, but probably not. She'll understand though... she knows that I still think about him all the time. I know she does, and she feels guilty, but she really shouldn't. It's my choice to keep this from her..." Queenie shook her head. "I already said too much. I'll get going."

Queenie took out her wand, and with a swish, she was gone. ______ looked over at Newt. "I don't blame her," she told him. "She loves him, of course she would want to be with him."

"I know that," Newt told her with a smile. "After all, I wouldn't be going through with this if I didn't think I could keep you safe. I'm doing this for you, to keep you safe. Can't have Lethifolds flying around and ruining our vacation. I'd do anything for you."

Looking into Newt's eyes at that moment, ______ saw something she hadn't seen for a while. She saw vulnerability. Newt was nervous about this, she could tell, and she was too. She'd be lying if she said that she was brave enough to face all of this, but she had to. She knew she could do it if Newt was by her side, and it was the same for him.

"I love you," she told him. "I love you more than anything." She leaned towards him, kissing him. As he put his hands on her waist and she put her hands on his shoulders, he leaned over her, pressing her down and flat onto the couch.