6

Present Time

Tina walked out of the MACUSA building, and right away, she wanted to start crying. She was fighting every instinct to run back in there and go right up to Newt and be there for him. To comfort him. It didn't even have to be in any romantic way, she just wanted to be there for him, because right now she felt awful.

She hated seeing him like this. Newt looked emotionally exhausted, drained of all life. Every time she told him ______ never existed, more light drained from his eyes. She was surprised she didn't already break down, that she wasn't already crying. She might seem tough, but she was easily hurt. She could barely hold herself together when it came to someone she cared about.

But she couldn't forget one important thing: the whole ______ lie was for him. Because if Newt ever found out the truth, well...

She knew he'd never forgive himself. He'd never let it go. He loved her, and if he found out what really happened, it would tear him apart.

So, she had to lie. Maybe if he thought she wasn't real, then she would never have to tell him. She was doing this for him, or at least that's what she kept telling herself. She just couldn't get the imagine out of her head.

She walked through the streets of New York, the summer night giving her enough warmth so she didn't have to wear a coat tonight. It was such a nice night, but that only made her feel worse. She felt like she didn't deserve such a nice night, not when so many bad things had happened. It almost felt fake. She was hoping the whole situation was imaginary, that maybe she'd wake up, and she'd be back at home. She'd be going to work, no situation going on, Newt and ______ on their way over to their house from New York.

But that wasn't possible. This was reality, and she had to face it.

Her thoughts drifted back to the situation. She had to keep up this lie, she couldn't let Newt find out what really happened. She had anticipated him asking Queenie, but not Dumbledore. But it didn't matter to her. At this point, she was willing to tamper with the mail and messages if Dumbledore ended up being able to confirm ______'s existence. She would do whatever it took. She didn't care about the risks, about the possibility of losing her job.

Newt could not find out the truth. She didn't care if he hated her, if he didn't want to talk to her. If he snapped at her like he did before. It was better than what could be.

She walked up the stairs of her apartment, managing to keep the tears in her eyes. She walked into her apartment, opening the door and sitting down on the couch, laying back and putting her head in her hands. It wasn't until Queenie spoke up that she lost it.

"So, how'd it go?"

Tina started crying, and Queenie put down the dress she was working on and headed over to her, sitting down next to her on the couch and putting an arm around her. "Hey, Teeny, hey. Shh, it's going to be alright," she began to comfort her. "What happened?"

Tina began to take deep breaths, trying to steady herself enough to talk. "You should see him, Queenie. He isn't giving up, and I don't think I can keep doing this. I don't think I can keep up. I can't stand seeing him like this."

Queenie hesitated before speaking again. "I need you to tell me everything, Teeny. Everything that happened that night, and everything that you've told Newt. I already told you that I'd go along with it, but please. I need you to trust me, okay? I'm your sister, you can tell me everything."

Tina put her head up, looking over at Queenie with swollen eyes. "Alright, alright. You deserve to know." She took a deep breath.

"I didn't have choice. I could... I could only save one."