21

Newt's mind was running at a thousand miles an hour. Of course he'd end up back here, he was a fugitive, and Dumbledore helped him escape. Dread built in him. I don't time to lose, he thought to himself. I have to start looking for _____. I don't care what they say to me about her never existing, I know they're wrong.

He hoped that he would get to see Tina. He had so many questions for her, one headlining above all others: why did she knowingly lie to him? Once he knew that, he could get into the multitudes of other questions he had in mind.

When he got to MACUSA, he realized how late at night it had become. Most people had left the office at this point, the halls were nearly abandoned, and they were being taken right into the holding cells. Newt was beginning to know all too well what the inside of a cell looked like. Once they got into the cell, the guard shouted, "Mrs. Goldstein will be conducting your interrogation."

Newt sat down, his nerves everywhere. Looking over at Dumbledore, he seemed surprisingly calm through everything that happened. Newt didn't understand it at all. "Dumbledore, if you don't mind me asking, how are you cool through all of this?"

Dumbledore looked at him and gave a gentle smile. "Newt, this isn't my first time getting wrapped up in something particularly dangerous. I find it exciting. If you're getting people upset, you're probably heading in the right direction."

"You're right," Newt took in a deep breath. He usually tried not to worry so much, but he worried a lot when it came to the things and people he loved and cared about. He knew that if he wasn't worried about how _____ was doing, that would be more unnatural.

After only five minutes, the guard came back in and led them into the interrogation room, where Tina sat patiently. As soon as she and Newt met eyes, her eyes filled with sorrow. Before Newt had the chance to speak, she was apologizing. "Newt, I never meant to do this to you, I'm truly sorry. This was the only way I could find you. I pulled strings and got you both released of all charges, I promise, you're not in any trouble."

"I don't care if I'm in trouble or not," Newt told her. "I want to know why you lied to me about _____. Why did you lie to me, Tina? When you knew what happened?"

Tina sucked in a deep breath. I will not cry, she told herself. She had already cried once earlier that night talking with Queenie. What happened to _____ constantly haunted her, and it killed her every moment she had to lie to Newt. "I was scared Newt, alright?" she spoke honestly. "I tried to save her Newt, but I couldn't get all three of us out. She was surrounded, they targeted her more than the rest of us and I couldn't get to her. I had to make a choice and that choice is haunting me with every moment I'm still here and she isn't. I was scared that if I told you the truth, you'd hate me, but even worse, you'd fall apart. I can see how much you love her, Newt. Knowing that she got attacked by dementors..." Tina trailed off. Her plan not to cry failed, and she was sobbing now.

Newt looked at her with sympathetic eyes. "How much did you see of what happened to her? What do you know?"

Tina took in a deep breath. "Right before I apparated, I saw a dementor lean down towards her, giving her the kiss. For all I know, she's walking around as an empty shell with Apathy Syndrome, or even worse, she could be dead." Tina put her head in her hands. "I know. I know I should've told you. I thought it would be easier to move on if I could get you to forget her, because now that you know, it's a lot of information and it's all my fault."

Newt took her wrists and looked into her eyes. "Tina, _____ isn't dead, but she is in trouble."

Tina stared at Newt in disbelief before she tore her hands away. "What? What do you mean?"

Dumbledore spoke up for the first time. "I've been investigating this myself. Witnesses saw _____ being taken away by a tall wizard in a dark coat with a scar across his face. His name is Maverick."

Tina put a hand over her mouth before saying. "The reason I got you two here was to tell you that I have a lead on whoever is controlling the dementors. Queenie and Jacob saw him, and he attacked Jacob. They both told me that the wizard had a huge scar across his face. If we find him, we could find _____."

Newt stood up quickly. "What are we waiting for then?" he asked, anxious to go. "Let's start finding him now."

The guard unlocked the door and they all started to leave. Tina grabbed Newt's arm as he turned to go. "Wait, Newt, I want to ask you something." As Newt looked in her direction, he didn't look on her eyes, and a part of her heart broke because of it. "Are you angry with me?"

Newt shook his head. "I thought I would be, Tina. I did, I had so many questions prepared. I didn't understand at all why you would lie to me about someone I loved. I'm not angry anymore. Just... upset. I wished we could've started the search for her right away, but we've lost time now. We have to make it up to _____."

Tina nodded and let go of his arm. "Let's find Maverick. First things first, we need to talk to Jacob again."

So, I've had this chapter written but haven't posted it yet. Figured I may as well post it now and let you guys know that updates might be slow for a while, three days ago I got into a car accident and I'm having a hard time writing, thinking, or sitting down at the computer for prolonged amounts of time. So I have to take a little break. I hope you all understand

— J.