2

One Week Earlier...

"There's magical pet-sitters?" ______ asked when Newt assured her that someone would be home to take care of Morrow. She wanted to bring the little Crup along, but ever since ______ and Newt broke him out of his shell, he was far too playful for all the other creatures on Newt's cast. He was always full of energy and wanted to play, and he'd bother the others far too much. Newt was always worried someone would get hurt.

"Of course there is," Newt began. "Usually students from Hogwarts looking to make money over the summer. I spoke to him, he told me he'd come over twice a day to make sure he had food and water, and he even said he'd play with him a bit."

"Alright then, it looks like we're all set," ______ said with a smile, looking at all the packed bags they had with them. They were on their way to New York, a little trip to visit the Goldstein sisters and walk around the city.

After all, Newt had told Tina he would give her a copy of his book in person.

______ didn't think she'd ever miss New York City, but when Newt told her about the trip, she got excited. There were times when she'd miss her little old apartment. Not that any good ever came from it, she didn't really have any friends or anyone she was close to and the lady she had living across from her always seemed to yell at her. But sometimes, from her little apartment window, a sunset came over the city and she would see it over the Statue of Liberty, and it felt like home.

And New York rarely ever felt like home to ______.

It wasn't that she got homesick. She had a new home – one she made with Newt. She just sometimes missed all the places she used to go, all the little shops she used to visit. So, she was excited for their trip.

"Let's get to the docks then," Newt said, giving her a half smile. "Don't want to be late." He outstretched his hand to her and she took it with a smile. It had been about half a year since their first Christmas here, and those months have been the happiest of either of their lives in their perspectives. ______ had found a nice job in London, anything was better than working in a factory. No more horrible foreman, no living from paycheck to paycheck. No more spending nights having to feed beasts all alone, no more always travelling, and always travelling alone.

They both had each other now.

______'s had in his, Newt flicked his wand and apparated to the docks. ______ was finally getting used to sensation, it wasn't as bad as it used to be. Sometimes she pretended it did though, just so she got to hold Newt close when they were going places. He knew she was pretending but he never said anything about it, he had no complaints about holding her close.

When they landed on their feet, they took a moment to glance out of the small alley they had been in. "All clear," Newt whispered, and they each grabbed their bag, Newt just having his case he packed everything in. On the other hand, ______ had a backpack Newt had enchanted so she could have as much room as he did. They walked out, hand in hand, and handed their tickets to the boarder.

Walking onto the boat, they were both immediately greeted by a cheery worker. "Hello!" she said in a sing-song voice. "I'm here to help you with anything you need. May I see your tickets?" Newt pulled out his ticket, giving it to the worker. She glanced at it and continued with, "Follow me!"

The worker led them down a small flight of stairs, walking to end the of the hall. Once they got to the second to last door, the worker turned back towards them. "Here's your room, and here's a key. We only have master keys right now, so as long as you don't break into someone else's room, there shouldn't be any problems. I hope you two have a lovely day!"

And just like that, the worker walked away. Newt unlocked the door, and when they walked in, they didn't know what to expect.

For getting the tickets somewhat last minute, they had managed to get a nice room. There was a bed on either side of the room, and the window gave them a nice look of the sea. They could see blue for miles already, and they hadn't even left the dock yet. ______ looked over at Newt, setting her backpack down on one of the beds. "This is nice," she said with a smile. "I didn't think we'd be lucky enough to get a nice room."

"Neither did I," Newt said, looking over at ______. They made eye contact for a moment before Newt impulsively looked down at ______'s lips. Even though they had been together more than half a year, it was still a habit to not make eye contact a regular thing.

_____ smiled, knowing Newt's habits and stepped towards him, her arms wrapped gently around Newt's neck as she spoke. "I'm excited," she began. "This won't be like our last time in New York, right? No wizard is going to try to obliviate me?"

"They shouldn't," Newt began, finally looking into her eyes as he slowly put his hands on her waist. "You're an official British citizen now, so even though they disapprove, since it's not against any real law there you should be fine. They can complain all they like, but they can't do a thing. I checked with the Ministry." He assured. He didn't want to make the trip without being sure, or else he would've done a short one-day visit by himself.

After all, a promise was a promise. He was going to give her a copy in person. Even though I didn't seem like a big promise, promises meant a lot to Newt. He wasn't going to break a promise with someone he considered to be a good friend.

"Good," ______ replied with a smile, giving him a quick kiss on the lips. "It's too late now to get rid of my memories, that would be half a year of memories you'd be taking away from me, and that's just too much."

Newt just half-smiled and pressed his forehead against hers. "It's going to be a good trip, but we have a long boat ride ahead of us." He looked around the room again. They had gotten one with two beds, but for the past few months, it became a habit for ______ and him to share a bed. So, he put his case on the same bed as ______'s backpack. "I'm going to change into some better clothes to sleep in."

"I should probably do the same," ______ said, grabbing her backpack. She pulled out a nightgown in her favorite color, and Newt disappeared inside his case to get changed into his own nightclothes. ______ crawled into the bed and Newt emerged a few minutes later, getting into bed next to her. It was only seven, but since they knew it was going to be a long trip, they figured it was better to get to sleep earlier.

It's not as if they fell asleep instantly anyways.

Newt wrapped his arms around ______ from behind, and she rested her head on his chest. To them, this was a perfect way to sleep. ______ sighed lovingly, closing her eyes. "I love you, Newt," she whispered.

"I love you too," he whispered back, placing a kiss on the back of her head.

"I can't wait until we get to New York. I want to see the Statue of Liberty again, and maybe we can go to a show, or maybe we can just go to Times Square. Or Central Park Zoo! You told me the last time you came you didn't really get to see much, so I'm going to take you everywhere."

Newt laughed softly, he loved seeing her enthusiasm. "That sounds perfect," he told her. "There's something I want to check too."

"What's that?"

"I just want to see if they have any new bakeries." Newt said, lost in thought. Instantly, ______ knew what he was talking about. After all, Newt told her everything.

"We'll see. I bet there is, I bet Jacob opened a bakery and it's thriving."

"I hope," Newt whispered, and he pulled her closer to him, so she was pressing against him completely while he cuddled her. "Goodnight, ______."

"Goodnight."

They fell asleep, and not long after, the boat finally took off. It was a three-day boat ride, and the first night was always the roughest. It took a while to adjust to the boat being on the water. They both slept peacefully, expecting this to be the perfect trip. A nice little vacation.

If they only knew...