The Threatened

Derek kept his promise and got me food. And by food I mean a soft apple from his fridge, and a glass of tap water from his faucet. I glared at him and Peter, crunching into my apple. It wasn't even the good ones. Too sweet, and too much juice. He had bandaged my arm, but the hangover headache had reached its max and I was just waiting for either of them to say anything to me. But no one was saying anything.

I was told to be very quiet while they made a deal with that mercenary, Braeden, from Mexico. The only sound in the small, but tasteful apartment was me chewing this horrible apple. Derek glared back at me for chewing. The girl Braeden set her boots on the coffee table (which I wished had actual coffee at this point.) "The table's Italian." Peter said through strained lips.

"So are the boots," Braden retorted back. I could see Derek trying not to laugh. I had to admit, it was a sly comeback. One I would have said myself had I owned anything Italian.

"Are we going to talk interior designing fashion, or are we going to talk about numbers?" The man Peter looked at the notepad on the table, writing down something then sliding it to Braeden. From her look, it was obvious that was not the right number. She scribbled out the number, writing a new one. From here, it was a big number.

"We're hiring you to find Kate. Not assassinate the president." Peter hissed. Braeden shrugged at his distress. "Going against the Calaveras is what's going to cost you."

"We'll pay," Derek tossed in suddenly. "Just find Kate, that's all we want." Peter looked like he was about to implode.

"Are you insane?" I started chewing louder, taking the biggest gulp possible to get their attention. Both werewolves and mercenary stared at me as if forgetting I was even here. "You spent a week looking for that crazy person, and what did you come up with? Oh yeah, nothing. I think the money will be worth it if this lady is turning twenty-three year olds into sixteen year olds." Peter growled at me.

"Down boy," I said sarcastically. By now, Braeden had left; going to track down Kate.

"Why is she here?" Peter asked, his dead eyes staring blankly at me. "Because this is my loft, and I told her to come. She got hurt." Thank you Derek; for standing up for me.

"A lot of humans get hurt, what's so different about this one?"

"She's a friend," Derek growled lowly. I could feel his anger starting to bite at him, the wolf just above the surface.

"Fine, you choose who you want to have in your stupid little pack. The point is, is if we don't find out who told Kate about the vault, we don't get those bonds back Derek!" Peter got up, along did Derek. I could feel the testosterone in the room, almost suffocating everything out of it. These guys had been feuding since their time began here. They both held their shoulders that told me they had once been Alpha's, both challenging the other.

"What do you think I'll do, huh? Get a job? Last I check, my resume is a bit out of date. We got robbed, Derek. I got robbed." He reached out and grabbed Derek. I flinched when he snarled, throwing Peter off of him. His eyes had turned yellow, his facial expression more fearful than angry. Peter stepped back, looking smug as ever.

"Now that's a new look. What happened?" Derek looked to me for maybe some possible help. I was belittled with the little knowledge I had of werewolves. "I don't know; but I know it's worth paying to find out."

"You have fun with that," Peter said politely (if that made any sense) and started walking to the door. I jumped in front of him, crossing my arms. "Tell me; are you an ass to everyone or is that just your charming nature?" He snarled, stepping around me. "Tame your human Derek!" He slammed the door behind us, leaving the only noise the generator behind the walls.