Chapter 6

You smiled at the carriage that sat outside of your home. It was decorated neatly, a beautiful horse attached to the front. You watched as Elizabeth, Philip and Alexander all exited the carriage, slowly making their way up the elaborate steps of your home.

You smiled, grabbing your brown book bag and making your way down the marble steps inside of your home.

Your father stood there, reading over documents, his eyes tired. "Ready for your first day?" he questioned, placing the papers to his side.

You nodded with a bright smile, overly excited for your first day.

Your father smirked, handing you a piece of paper that was folded neatly, string holding it together. "You know your job. Don't blow it, and don't let them know." your father whispered, placing his fingers to his lips.

There was a light knock on the door and one of the help opened the door, greeting the Hamiltons for you.

"Are you ready for your first day of actual school?!" Philip exclaimed, embracing you in a tight hug. You returned the gesture, melting into his tight hug.

"No public displays of affection in my lobby." you father scolded, Philip pulling away in an instant.

The two of you looked away from each other, your faces flushed red in embarrassment.

"In a few years our children just might court each other!" Eliza laughed, placing her hand on the right side of her face as she did so.

"I wouldn't count on it, Mrs. Hamilton," you father replied, a light but stern smile on his face.

You and Philip walked into the school, your footsteps in sync. You noticed everyone looking at the two of you, but mainly at you. That's what you assumed.

"Philip, I hate to seem egotistical, but is everyone looking at me?" you questioned.

"Yeah, everyone knows you're the daughter of the Thomas Jefferson. You're basically one of the most powerful people here!" Philip replied, a bright smile on his face.

"Powerful." you repeated, gripping your book tightly to your chest. Nobody had ever told you anything like that. At least, not that you were aware of. 

You wore a magenta gown that was similar to your father's well-known magenta suit. Your gown was much more showy than what anyone else was wearing, which made you scan around the halls im confusion and insecurity.

'What if they think I'm just another rich kid trying to show off?' you thought to yourself. You noticed everyone wore the same attire. The girls wore long navy blue skirts with a white blouse on top, while the boys wore navy blue slacks with a matching blazer on top. "Philip, how could you fail to mention that there's a dress code here? Don't you think that would be valuable information?" you questioned, feeling more insecure.

Philip laughed sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. "Well, I figured that when you enrolled they would inform you of that. I guess I was wrong,"

[×]

The two of you arrived to your first class, history. When you walked in your teacher gave you a bright smile, to which you smiled in return.

"Good morning class, I'll be your teacher this year. My name is Miss Sawyer, and I look forward to working with all of you!"

You all took a random seat, preparing yourselves for the lesson.

"Actually, before we begin, I would like to welcome our newest student, Miss (y/n) Jefferson! Miss, would you please come up to the front and introduce yourself?"

You suddenly felt your heart pounding in your ears, and the world around you rotated in slow motion.

You sat up from your seat, your limbs shaking as though you were caught in a snow storm. As you slowly made your way up, trying your best to keep the demeanor your father taught you to keep, you couldn't help but slowly lose your poise the closer you got to the front of the classroom.

When you arrived at the front Miss Sawyer gave you a piece of chalk.

"Go ahead and write your name on the board," she said.

You nodded, swallowing the saliva that formed in your throat.

Your tutor had taught you how to write in flawless cursive, but as you wrote in the board your hand shook uncontrollably. You looked at how you wrote your name, sloppy and crooked. "What is this feeling?" you whispered to yourself, not daring to look away from the board.

Your breathing soon began to quicken it's pace, and your body felt like it had been glued to the floor below you.

"Miss Jefferson, please face the class. We would like to get to know you." Miss Sawyer said, placing a hand on your shoulder.

You tensed, tears forming in the corners of your eyes.

"Are you alright?" she questioned, getting on her knees so that she could look at you.

"I- I-" you couldn't form any words.

"Oh my gosh, is the new girl crying?!" a young boy asked, laughing uncontrollably.

"Shut your mouth, Eacker! She's just a little nervous!" you heard Philip shoot at Eacker.

"She should've just stayed in her fancy mansion with her perfect life and perfect family!" Eacker laughed, holding onto his side.

"Mr. Eacker, what is your damage? Do you have to belittle everyone that doesn't have the egotistical, hotheaded attitude as you? 'Cause in all honestly, the school has grown quite tired of you." your teacher scolded.

Eacker suddenly sat down, his eyes wide in embarrassment, looking away from everyone.

Miss Sawyer let you take a seat. When you got to your seat you looked down at your book bag the entire time, mortified by what just took place.

The bell suddenly rang. Everyone got up, grabbing their things.

'It's time for my next class.' you thought to yourself, taking a deep breath as you grabbed your things.

Philip placed his hand on yours, giving you an apologetic smile. "Are you okay? You seemed so scared." Philip told you, his face etched with worry.

"I don't know what's wrong with me. That feeling is so sudden and new. I've never felt that way before," you replied.

Philip nodded, the two of you walking to class together. Your arm wrapped around his so that you could walk.