Chapter 20

It was a beautiful day outside.

Birds were singing.

Flowers were blooming.

You couldn't help but take in the beauty of it all. However, your father's actions played in your head like a broken record. 'How could he do that?' you asked yourself, staring outside as the sun slowly began to set.

You got up from your bed, grabbing a new change of clothes and making your way into your restroom. You decided that perhaps a hot shower could clear your mind of your accumulating thoughts.

[×]

You walked out of the shower, your body fresh as you began to brush out your hair. You looked at yourself in your vanity, smiling to yourself, and your reflection smiling back.

After your content moment you made your way over to your gigantic bed. You were ready to blow out the candle that illuminated your room, but your action was interrupted by a slight tap on your window. You chose to ignore it, taking another breath to blow out your candle, but the tap was heard again and again.

"Who keeps tapping on the glass?" you asked yourself, walking over to the window that was two floors above the ground. Your room was on the third floor.

A figure stood outside, and you prayed it wasn't another suitor whom your father sent to annoy you. You looked through your window, and saw a sheepish Philip waving at you. You waved back, opening up your window. The gentle breeze hit your body, making you shiver slightly from the change in temperature.

"What are you doing here?" you asked Philip, obviously confused by his actions. "I had to see you again!" Philip replied, making you blush. "It's been so long since we've last spoken! There's so many things I have to tell you!" Philip yelled, making you cringe. You prayed your father doesn't wake up due to all of this commotion.

You let out a frustrated groan, not knowing what to do. You knew if you went with him your father might find out, resulting in him most likely sheltering you again. However, if you didn't go, you might never see Philip again. "Meet me in the garden behind the manor!" you yelled to him as loudly as you could without making a commotion. Philip nodded his head happily, quickly walking to where you had told him to go.

[×]

"How have you been?"

"Where have you been?"

"How long have you been stuck in that house?"

"Is everything they say about what happened true?"

Philip's eyes never let yours as the two of you talk about almost everything. He wanted to hold you, show you how much he cares about you. "You're a good friend, Philip. I'm glad I got to see you again," you spoke, smiling up at him.

It was getting late. You knew you should be sleeping, but you didn't want to. This moment, this moment right here, is too perfect to lose.

"It's getting late," Philip suddenly blurted out, his gaze now fixed onto the twinkling stars of the night. "You should probably get going," you replied, staring at his figure. Philip released his gaze from the stars and once again turned his attention to you.

"When can I see you again?" he asked you, placing his hand on top of your own. You slowly pulled your hand away from his, scooting yourself away from him.

You shrugged, not knowing how to reply to his words. "You can see me again when the time is right,". Was all you said to him.

You could hear your father waking up, so you made your way back inside your home, not looking back at Philip until you reached the doorway. He smiled happily at you, his figure slowly retreating. He didn't turn his back to you, and he made eye contact with you the entire time as he walked away.

"When can we do this again?"