Chapter 8

Your father received a letter today asking if you would be willing to travel to the home of the Hamiltons to visit Philip for a while.

The letter expressed how he's been feeling lonely, and the abundance of homework isn't doing well for him either.

Your father wrote back without telling you, saying you delightfully accept their invitation and will be traveling there in two days.

It's been two days.

You happily packed up a bag that would prepare you for any scenario. "Father, I'll be leaving now. The coachman will be escorting me there." you said, giving him a quick peck on the cheek.

Your father smiled, giving you a quick hug, and a new note. "Some questions and a couple of suggestions. Hopefully these help with the interrogation process,"

You nodded, shoving the note into the pocket of your baby blue dress. The dress was decorated with darker blue rhinestones that traveled all along the skirt, which stopped at your ankles. Underneath you wore white stockings and black flats, your hair dressed up neatly to go along with it.

As you made your way down the steps the coachman opened the carriage door for you. You smiled politely, thanking him.

The coachman delicately closed the door, a bright smile on his face as he did so. "'Ello madam, where will we be traveling today?" the young man asked, his British accent thick.

You paused for a second before finally speaking up. "To the home of the Hamiltons, please." you replied, getting yourself comfortable for the journey.

With a flick of the coachman's wrist the horses began to trot along the path, their strong bodies pulling the carriage with ease.

[×]

When you arrived Philip was waiting for you at the doorway, his face lighting up in anticipation when he saw you.

"(Y/n)!" you heard his jovial voice yell, his excitement apparent.

"Philip!" you called back, quickly grabbing your bag and running out to greet him.

The two of you embraced each other in a tight hug. You braced yourself for the harsh words of your father, but they never came.

"Finally, I can hug you without your father pulling us apart!" Philip cheered, his freckled cheeks dusted pink.

The two of you walked into the parlor of the Hamilton residence, taking a seat on the leather sofa.

"What should we do first? Play a game? Explore the fields? Bother ma' and pa'? Oh! We could climb onto the roo-"

"Or, we can study." you piped in, pulling out your notebook.

Philip groaned, throwing himself back on the couch. "I don't wanna study! That's so boring! Let's just go on an adventure!" Philip yelled, jumping onto the coffee table.

"Oh Philip, your ambitiousness will be the death of us all," you sighed.

"Know-it-all," Philip shot back.

"Loud-mouth,"

"Book worm,"

"Freckle face,"

"Capitalist,"

The two of you glared daggers at one another, not once moving a single muscle.

"Children, I brought the two of you some snacks while you study!" Eliza chimed, a bright smile on her face as she set down a silver platter of food and drink. "Philip, get your dirty shoes off of my freshly polished table this instant." Eliza demanded, her sweet voice still there.

Philip jumped off the table, embarrassed.

Eliza smiled at she set the platter down, taking a seat on the chair opposite to the sofa.

"Well, what are we studying this afternoon?" Eliza questioned, taking a quick sip of chamomile tea.

"French." you replied, stuffing your nose into your notebook. This caused Eliza to laugh.

"Darling, you remind me so much of my dear Alexander!" Eliza laughed, placing her hand on her chest.

"How so?" you questioned in reply, growing curious of her comparison.

"Well, he always shoves his face into his books while he reads, and his face is always full of concentration as he does so," Eliza replied.

You giggled, placing the book onto the cushion next to you.

"Go outside," Eliza suggested, "it's a beautiful day, and I'm sure the both of you need some fresh air after all the school work that you've been given." Eliza smiled, taking a long sip of her tea.

You considered it, but shot down the idea. "Mrs. Hamilton, with all due respect, I think it best Philip and I stay inside. We really do need to study. It's imperative that we-"

"Such high vocabulary for such a young lady. Do you know what my mother used to tell me when I spoke of revolution and such? She told me a man would never love a woman with a brain that thinks more than his, let alone a woman that knows more words than her husband."

You smiled, finally, someone you can relate to. "I'm glad you were able to prove her wrong," you smiled.

Eliza returned your smile "tea?"

"That would be lovely,"

"So, we're not going on an adventure?"