Chapter 9

As you were enjoying your day with Eliza and Philip, you noticed Alexander Hamilton hadn't come out of his office for quite some time.

You saw him come out once, in a hurry. He quickly prepared himself a cup of coffee, which he bombarded with sugar cubes, then returned to his study.

"Mrs. Hamilton-"

"Please, as I told your father, drop the formalities. You may call me Eliza, Liz, and even mother if you'd like." she told you, preparing another cup of tea for Philip - which would now equal a total of four cups.

"Right... Eliza, why is it that Alexander is always cooped up in his study? He's hardly left the room since I arrived." you questioned, flipping through the pages of your notebook as you tried to find a blank page. Eliza sighed, handing the cup of tea to Philip, who happily took it.

"I'm afraid my dear Alexander never leaves his study unless it's to consult President Washington, or to go aid him during cabinet meetings and so on. Alexander is, after all, his right hand man."

"Why would he do that?" you questioned, dipping your quill in ink, ready to write anything down.

"He's too busy writing. My darling husband is far too busy writing to pay attention to his own family and those who love him dearly! All he does is write like he's running out of time, and argue with the entirety of the continent! If I do get a word in with him all he talks about is Jefferson and Washington. Frankly, it's a little disquieting. I just wish he would come with us upstate... I planned for Alexander, Angelica, Philip, and myself to all go," Eliza sighed.
She was truly upset.

You sat there wide-eyed, then you quickly jotted - most of it - down, making sure not to draw suspicion.

"Ma', I have an idea!" Philip exclaimed, setting his tea down in a swift motion. A few drops of Green Tea spilling out in the process.

"Philly, you have an original idea? How unheard of!" you mocked, faking a loud gasp.

Philip just brushed your comment aside. "What if (Y/n) comes with us upstate?!" Philip asked, completely excited, bouncing up and down on the sofa. He hugged you tightly, crushing your bones.

"I'm afraid my father wouldn't dare allow me to, Philip," you sighed. Then a sudden thought came across your mind. It was undoubtedly absurd, but you could use it to your advantage if you played your cards right.

"Eliza, what if I came over every now and again to keep Mr. Hamilton company whilst you're all on your small get away? I know you don't want to go without him, but this way he isn't totally alone, and you won't have to worry about him one bit." you suggested, biting your lip so hard you drew a bit of blood.

Eliza pondered on the possibility a bit, her face twisted in seriousness. She took a quick sip of tea, her lips puckered out as she did so. Finally, she spoke, not sounding totally convinced. "I suppose that would possibly be alright. I'll make sure to inform the maids and, of course, Alexander. Oh! And of course before any preparations are secured you must ask your father for permission. However, I suggest that you don't come over too often, and beforehand, make sure to write a letter with all the dates you plan to attend. Rumors only grow, and we don't want to cause reason for speculation. " Eliza replied, evening out the wrinkles in her dress.

You smiled, yet felt like you were betraying the Hamiltons - mainly Philip.

[×]

"Okay, so if you divide 4 by itself what would the answer be?" you asked Philip.

Philip rolled his eyes, "Who cares? The only thing I need to know in life is how much I love spending time with you!" Philip smiled, wrapping his arms around your neck.