twelve

The child was the most perfect being Rune had ever seen. Her hair was a beautiful shade of bronze, and her eyes were a beautiful mahogany. Her face held such pure innocence, and the flush in her cheeks told Rune she wasn't what they thought she was.

Rune didn't pay attention when the shifters came out, nor when Carlisle started to speak. It was only when her brother called for Bella to bring the children towards him did Rune zone back in.

Immediately she looked at Edward, who watched her. She knew that he knew the second she met his eyes. His daughter was her mate, and that meant no harm would ever come to her as long as Rune Volturi lived.

When the children came closer Rune focused on her mate, watching the way she cowered behind her mother. Rune wanted to reach out, she wanted to tell her that everything would be okay, that she would be safe.

Of course the Volturi queen could not do that, so she opted to take a different approach. While her brother was busy talking to the other child Rune took a single step forward.

"I'd like to meet her." Rune stated, gesturing with her hand towards the child who was her mate. Bella seemed hesitant but Edward, who had read her thoughts and knew she wouldn't harm her mate dismissed them.

Renesmee walked tentatively forward, keeping her head down and reminding Rune of a fawn. As she reached Rune the queen knelt down and slowly pulled of her hood. The queen could bear gasps but she didn't pay them any mind.

Rene looked up and her eyes widened. The child reached out and absentmindedly touched Runes cheek, just under the eye.

"Pretty." The hybrid whispered and Rune grinned. She was perfect.