five

SHE was even more beautiful then Rune could ever imagine her to be. Standing tall before her and looking like a patchwork form of all the most beautiful parts of her parents. Yet there was something unique that made her an individual, made her more then what her mother and father could ever be, a spark that called to Rune, and like a poor fisherman she jumped into the freezing waters to greet the beautiful siren that whispered to her.

They held hands as they walked the border of the Cullens property, Renesmee speaking softly as she spun the tale of the highlights of her childhood and if anything it cemented the queen's belief that she had done the right thing. Getting to hear the stories the younger told of her innocent beginning and her chance to live the most human life possible in those years where her innocence was so fragile it would have been crushed by the Volturi's sharp edges and unforgiving nature. Renesmee had gotten to live the most human life she would ever be able to, she got to grow and play and live a carefree life in ways she would ever get to once she arrived in Volterra. The vampire capital was not a place for children, something Rune was intimately familiar with as she tried to keep Jane and Alec from falling even deeper into the darkness that had already splattered their souls in death from the moment they were created. It was not a place Rune had wanted Renesmee to grow up in.

Even now, the queen hesitated, looking at the girl she would come to love endlessly as she expertly maneuvered her way through lush green forests like she had done it her whole life and Rune had doubts. Doubts that she was doing the best thing for her, doubts that the darkness of her home would ruin the light that the young hybrid emitted.

"You know you don't have to come with me, not if you don't want to." Rune finally spoke after a few moments of silence, feeling the burden on her immortal soul at the thought of it, but offering anyways. Renesmee turned to look at her, wide eyed.

"Do you not want me to?" She asked, so sweet, so willing.

"Of course I want you to." Rune soothed, teaching a finger out to smooth over Renesmee's furrowed brow. "But this is your home, I would never make you leave it."

At this Renesmee huffed, pushes back her shoulders, and faced the queen head on. "You are not making me to anything Rune, this is my choice, and I choose you."

And Rune could see it then, see past the young innocence and see the potential, Rune could see a queen, strong and resilient, could see the best parts of her parents that had come together to give Rune a gift she would never be able to compensate for, could only cherish and protect until her dying day.

"Then it is settled, we will leave in the morning."

AUTHORS NOTE

it's been a minute since I've updated this, there's only going to be like two more chapters, including the epilogue, and I'll probably have them out in the next few days!