Chapter 1

Ryan's POV

I was sitting on the front row of the school gym benches. I had my laptop balanced on my knees and I focused on the game in front of me. I did all the stats for the school basketball team so I went to all the games and watched.

I kept stats for both teams. One of our teams' players missed a shot so I added that. I knew a lot about basketball and once the game was finished I would send my document to the Coach and he could do what he wanted with it.

I don't know if he ever used it but I like doing it so I didn't mind doing it anyway. Our school, West Side High School, won the game and a lot of the players seemed to play well as well. I saved and sent the document before tucking my laptop under my arm and followed the crowd out.

My best friend Jordan was waiting for me outside. He didn't mind coming to the games with me but he had been separated by the crowd.

"Are we going back to your house?" he asked.

I nodded. Jordan and I have been friends for years and my parents knew him well and in some ways he was like a brother. He had short blonde hair and green eyes and extremely attractive. I, on the other hand, have dark brown hair and similar eyes.

We headed out of the school parking lot and started to walk. I listened to Jordan go on about something that he had heard people saying at the game. It wasn't a long walk to my house and my Mom was sitting at the bench in the kitchen.

"Hey boys, how was the game?" Mom asked.

"We won, it was quite good," I said.

She nodded and returned her attention to what she was doing. We headed up to my room to get a start on our homework. I had a massive desk in my room that had a bunch of seats around it so it was good to work with people.

We had enough room to both completely spread out and started to work. Once in a while we would ask each other questions but we mostly worked in silence.

It didn't take me long to get through most of my work. The last thing that I had to do was math sheet and it wasn't very difficult but it was time consuming. It seemed to have a hundred steps that you had to do and by the end of it I was getting sick of it.

I dropped my head onto the desk and I could hear Jordan laugh.

"Did Mr Wilkinson talk to you about tutoring someone?" he asked.

"No"

"He mentioned to me that there are a couple of students that are struggling and I think that you and me are top of his list of possible tutors," he smiled.

I nodded. I had tutored students before but only for a couple of weeks before a test.

"I wouldn't mind tutoring again. As long it is someone that wants to learn," I said.

He nodded and he closed the book he was working out of.

"You finished?" I asked.

He nodded and stood up so that he could move and collapse on my bed. I kicked my feet up onto my desk and leant back onto the chair.

"How were the stats for the game?" he asked.

I started to talk to him about the players and their shooting stats. Jordan didn't mind me telling him all about it but I think that he was glad when Mom came in.

"Jordan, do you want to stay for dinner?" she asked.

"Yes, please," he smiled.

"Well, then it is done and ready," she smiled.

We both stood up and headed into the kitchen. I grabbed a plate from the bench and Mom started to pile pasta bake on it. I smiled at Dad when he came in.

"How was your day?" he asked.

"There was another basketball game on so we were there," I said.

"Was the stats good?" he asked.

I nodded as we took seats at the table. Both of my parents knew Jordan really well and the conversation was easy. Jordan and I had probably spent more having dinner together than apart.

Once we were done Jordan and I headed back up to my room. We both collapsed on the bed and started to talk. The year was moving along quickly and soon we were going to be leaving for college.

"Have you thought about college yet?" he asked.

"I don't want to," I admitted.

"I know, it's really scary. I don't want to leave," I added.

We stayed like that for a while as we both were stuck in our own thoughts.

"What do you want to do next year?" I asked.

"I don't know. I like maths but I don't know what to do with it."

I was a conversation that we've had a couple of time due to the fact we both really like maths but neither of us know what we want to do with it.

"Let's just enjoy the rest of the year," he said.

I nodded. He had to go home not long later so once he was gone I pulled my laptop out and mucked around for a while. I found that I had an email from Mr Wilkinson asking if I would be free to tutor a student long term. I responded telling him that I could.

We arranged to meet up tomorrow and I would meet whoever I would be helping and once that was done I shut my laptop and curled up in bed. I was wondering who I was helping but I didn't really mind that much.

I was just hoping it was someone that wanted to learn and get better.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Welcome to Bounce Back which is my new book.

Comment and Vote

The Wise One