Chapter 3

Ryan's POV

Tyler and I meet again next time in the library. We took up fort at one of the tables in the corner where we wouldn't disturb as many people with our quiet conversations. I was there a minute before Tyler and when he came in he took the seat before me.

"How's it going?" I asked.

He shrugged and I pulled my stuff out so that was could start working.

"Do you want continue from where we were last time or is there something else you want to do?" I asked.

"Just continue," he said.

I nodded and we started to work. I slowly explained it to him and we started practicing but he didn't seem to get it. We continued to push through but he was still struggling a bit.

"I just don't get it," he said as he leant back on his chair.

"Then we'll have to keep working on it," I said plainly.

He scowled but leant back forward and tried the next question. He still didn't get it and almost threw his pen on the floor.

"What do you do when you can't make a basketball shot?" I asked.

"Keep trying," he said.

"Then you have to keep trying here."

"I'm sorry but what do you know about basketball?" he asked and then smacked his hand over his mouth.

"I do the stats for you. I think that I know a bit," I smiled.

"I'm sorry," he said and I shrugged.

"I don't really mind. Let's get back to it," I said simply.

He nodded and we continued to work. After a while we moved on and continued to work through his textbook. After a couple more minutes we decided to give up for the afternoon and pick it next time.

"How come you want to improve at maths?" I asked.

"I want to get a basketball scholarship to a top school next year and they aren't going to want someone that can't pass all their classes," he said.

I nodded because I knew that top colleges were looking for good students as well as good players.

"Well, it's good to see that you trying to improve," I said simply.

He nodded and didn't get to say anything because we were interrupted by a bunch of this teammates.

"Tyler, you ready to leave yet?" one of them asked.

Tyler turned to face me and I nodded. We had already decided to finish for the day so I didn't mind if he left. He smiled at me as he packed up. He talked to his friends as he headed out and I packed up as well.

"I'll see you later," Tyler said.

I nodded and he turned away as he talked to his friends about their basketball team and their season. I headed to join my own friends and found they have already finished all their work.

"We should go out for food," Drew suggested.

I nodded and the rest of my friends stood up and we headed out together. We all started talking as we walked to our usual place that we go for food. They didn't mind us spreading out our work on the table if we want and are really nice.

We all ordered and Morgan spread out a massive poster on the table.

"I need help making this," he said.

We all nodded and asked him what was needed. It was an art project and it was like a massive brainstorm. His exact brief was to get a few different people to draw something related to the ocean. The rest of us aren't artist but that isn't the point.

I think that Morgan then has to bring all the ideas together but I don't really care about that. We spread out pens and pencils on the table and started to work. We all had a quarter of the paper and despite not being an artist it was fun.

We talked as we worked as well and that made it fun as well. I loved my friends and it was easy.

"Do you guys want to come to the next game?" I asked.

"Ryan, you are the only one that actually likes to go to the games," Morgan teased.

"But you can still come anyway," I protested.

"I don't think so," Drew smiled.

I groaned and rest my head on the table.

"You are all so mean to me," I groaned.

"No, you are mean taking us to basketball games," Jordan added.

The rest of my friends started laughing as well and I didn't lift my head off the table. Jordan reached over and clapped me on the shoulder. They kept teasing me about it as we packed up and headed out together.

I was glad when we split up so I didn't have to hear them teasing me anymore. I was home later than usual so I found my parents on the couch in the lounge.

"Have you already eaten?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, I've still got some work to do," I said and headed up into my room.

Because I had been tutoring Tyler and then heling with Morgan's project I hadn't actually got any of my homework done. I didn't have much and it didn't take a long time for me to get through all of it.

Usually I would go downstairs and watch TV with my parents but I was tired so I just crawled into bed instead. There was another basketball game tomorrow so I would be there, clearly without my friends so I would probably have to stay up a bit later getting work done.

I texted my friends making sure that they wouldn't come with me. The first reply was from Morgan and it was telling me that he was going on a date. I didn't wait around for anymore replies but I was just wanted to sleep.

I wanted a relationship but it was too hard. It wasn't working for me now and I wanted to wait for something that would be worthwhile. I drifted to sleep thinking about it.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One