Chapter 2

Ryan's POV

I headed into Mr Wilkinson's classroom after school and found him sitting at his desk. Whoever I was tutoring wasn't here yet so I took a seat in front of him and we started to talk about our current topic and classwork.

We both turned around when the door opened and I saw Tyler Matthews walk in. I wasn't sure what to think because he is the basketball team captain and I'm not sure what to think. I wasn't sure if he was going to be a good person to talk and I wasn't sure if he would want to learn.

"Tyler, this is Ryan and he is going to be tutoring you," Mr Wilkinson said.

We both nodded and he took a seat. Tyler was tall, he had to be at least 6 foot 3, and had short blonde hair and blue, almost grey, eyes. He was also fit from years of basketball.

"So, I'll leave you two to start and sort out a time to meet when you want," he said.

We both nodded again and he headed out. I turned my chair slightly to face Tyler.

"So, what do you need help with?" I asked.

"I just don't get it and I take forever," he said.

He handed me his book that he was working out of and I started to flick through it. I could stop a few mistakes but I could see that he was struggling.

"So, how often do you want to meet?" I asked.

"Twice a week maybe. I have basketball training and game and stuff a bit so we would have to work around that," he said.

I nodded and we managed to arrange two times that we could both meet. We decided that the library would be the best place for us to work but we would start in here today.

"So, where do you want to start?" I asked.

"I haven't completely understood everything that we have done this year so can we start from the beginning?" he asked.

I nodded and we pushed two desks together to and both grabbed out paper and pens before opening his textbook.

I quickly skimmed the page and turned to face Tyler.

"What do you understand?" I asked.

He understood a couple of things but not all of it. I started to explain it to him and I could see that he was slowly getting it.

"Do you want to start a couple exercises?" I asked.

He nodded and we started the first one. I had to prompt him a couple of times during the first couple of exercises but he could do it by himself once we got further in. We worked for an hour and he seemed to understand it when we packed up.

"I'll see you in a couple of days," I said as I tucked my stuff back into my bag.

He nodded and then we exchanged numbers so that we could contact each other if we needed to.

"You seem like a good student but I'm going to tell you now if you don't bother turning up or bother trying then I will stop tutoring you," I warned him.

"I know, I'll try and not waste your time," he nodded.

I nodded as well and we headed out together. We were heading separate directions because I was going to the library to meet up with the rest of my friends and he was leaving school. Since school finished an hour ago the library was pretty empty and I was able to pull up a chair at the table that my friends were with.

I keep my friend group small and we all work well. There are only four of us and that includes me and Jordan. The other two are Morgan and Drew and I've known both guys for quite a while now.

Jordan and I met Morgan when we started school and we've been close since then. He has slightly longer hair the same colour as mine and similar eyes. We all meet Drew at the beginning of Junior High and we've all been close since then. He has almost black hair and dark eyes as well.

"What's everyone working on?" I asked as I pulled out my work.

I got a couple different responses and started to work on my own Physics stuff. A long time ago we had fallen into an easy routine of helping each other and working together.

"How was tutoring?" Jordan asked.

"Not too bad. I'm tutoring Tyler Matthews and he seems like he wants to learn," I said.

"Tyler Matthews?" Morgan asked.

"Yeah"

"And you said that he seems to want to learn?" Drew asked.

"Yeah, he's not in any of classes. Do you know what he's like in class?" I asked.

"I don't really know," Jordan scowled.

"Anyway, I told him I wasn't going to waste my time if he didn't want to work," I smiled.

We didn't talk more about it anymore and we returned to working. I didn't have a huge amount of work to do so once I was done I packed up and we all headed out. Jordan and I were heading in the same direction so we started to walk together.

"Do you really think that it's going to work with Tyler?"

I really wasn't sure because I don't really know Tyler. I know that he is a good basketball player because I've been doing his stats but I don't know more than that.

"I hope so. He seems like a nice guys," I shrugged.

He nodded and we separated as we reached my house. I stepped inside and found Mom cooking in the kitchen.

"How was your day?" she asked.

I told her about Tyler and my new tutoring role and we then talked about her day.

"It's good to see you are helping someone," she mused.

I nodded because she had been telling me for ages now that I should help more students than I currently do and I knew that she would be pleased that I was helping Tyler. I was hopeful that it would finish well.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One