Chapter 58

Ryan's POV

The team tore through their first three games. Their next game was the regional final against North Carolina and the team was a bit nervous because they were really good. I wasn't going to admit it but I had been watching Tyler and the deep bags under his eyes seemed to be fading so hopefully he was sleeping better.

I had more people come up to me before games to ask me what I was doing with the team so I had gotten quite good at being vague. It was easier if I hung around in the locker room until the team headed out as people approached me less if I was with the team.

The locker room was very tense since everyone knew that if they won then they would be on to Glendale in Arizona for the final Four, somewhere that the school hadn't been in quite a few years.

As the team headed out and pressed a soft kiss to Tyler's cheek and wished him good luck. He smiled slightly at me before heading out onto the court. I headed over to the bench where Coach was already there and he smiled at me.

"What do you think of North Carolina this time around?" he asked.

Since we had played them earlier in the year I hadn't spent as long looking at them because I had been them play in person.

"They have definitely improved since we played them last time but I think that we still have a good chance," I said.

He hummed and headed over to talk to a couple of the players about things. I had already told them my notes in the locker room so I didn't have anything to do until the game started.

At last the game started and I had something to do. UCLA looked good but North Carolina looked just as good. Just like last time it was close and neither team could get away from the other.

The quarter flew by and soon enough the players were back on the side lines. I had a couple of things to say but there wasn't much for me to add. I had noticed that the longer that I worked with them the more that they noticed things so I didn't have to point them out.

The next quarter the play started to get a little pushier as each team wanted to win just as much the other. The score remained close throughout the rest of the quarter and the next one as well. The team came to the bench during the break determined to win.

Like the last couple of breaks I added a couple of things to tell them but there wasn't a whole heap to add. I really wanted to add more but there wasn't anything to say so I just took my seat again.

I couldn't help my knee starting to bounce as the quarter started as I was starting to get more nervous for the players. There was a lot of pressure on this team to win since they hadn't lost this year and I wasn't sure what would happen if they did.

The minutes slowly ticked down and I was hoping that the game wasn't going to be going to overtime. Slowly the team started to build a bit of a lead so with ten seconds left they weren't going to be beaten and the crowd was counting down the last seconds.

As soon as the clock stopped the bench stormed the court. I smiled brightly as I shut my laptop and continued to sit there. I didn't bother starting to type up notes about the game because I could do it later instead. There would be a couple of days before our Final Four game so I would have time to do it later.

I was glad that I had been doing work that Alex had been sending me because else I would be very behind. All my professors were really lenient so I had missed a couple of deadlines but I had managed to hand a lot of work it.

There was a lot of free times on buses and in the hotel and at training so it wasn't too bad. I wasn't going to admit to anyone but I was still slightly nervous about going back to classes because it is not being in there yourself.

I didn't know how long I was stuck in my own thoughts until I felt someone tug on my arm. It was Luke and he tugged me to my feet.

"You are just as much of this team as anyone else. You should be with us," he told me.

I didn't bother to disagree with him so I moved around and hugged the team until I reached Tyler. I wrapped him in the tightest hug and rested my head against him.

"I seriously wish that I could kiss you," he said.

"You played really well," I told him.

He smiled brightly and the rest of the night flew by until we were back at the hotel. Luke and Tyler were both named to the South Regional Tournament team. The team was still really excited when we got back but all I wanted to do was climb into bed.

"Do you know who we are going to be playing in the semi-finals?" Tyler asked.

"No."

"Duke."

Playing Duke meant that he was going to be playing James and I knew that both of them would be excited for the competition. He climbed into bed with me once we were both ready and curled around me.

"I'm kind of excited to play James but it means that one of us is going to lose," he admitted softly.

"I know," I mumbled.

"We've talked about meeting up at some point either before or after the game but we'll see when we have the time," he said.

"Can I come too?" I asked.

He nodded before pulling me even closer to him.

"I'm proud of you today," I told him.

"Thank you," he mumbled.

"You are going to be amazing."

I felt myself drifting off beside him as his hand moved up and down against my back. It was easy to be here with him and the team and I wished that we could stay like this forever.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One