Chapter 52

Ryan's POV

Of course the next day was when my back decided to act up. I hadn't even noticed it tightening over the last couple of days but it was probably because I hadn't managed to do the fitness that I would usually do recently because I haven't had the time.

I couldn't get out of bed so I sent a text to Alex to come to my dorm instead and just waited. I hadn't had back problems for months but with all the extra work that I was doing now compared to high school so I hadn't managed to do as much exercise so I knew that that wasn't going to be helping.

Tyler had already left so I didn't have to worry about him for the moment. Alex came in and noticed that I was still lying on the bed.

"What happened to you?" he asked.

"I occasionally have back problems and one of those times is now," I complained.

I nodded, dumped his stuff on the ground and headed towards the small kitchen area. I watched him move around for a couple of minutes and then he came back with a plate with a couple of bits of bread.

"Eat"

I couldn't sit up so it was slightly awkward to eat but I was glad that Alex had done this because I wasn't going to be moving.

"Are you up to talking about the game?" Alex asked once I was finished eating.

"If you heat up a heat back for me," I said.

I then told him where it was and once it was warm we started talking. After what Tyler had said last night I decided to go through my own notes about him and he might have a point. I didn't want to admit it but they might be a little tough.

Talking to Alex got my mind off my back so this was really helpful. After a couple more games Alex had got used the idea of basketball stats and he was getting better and better. This time I had to get him to type up our notes because it was too awkward for me to do it.

"Do you want me to do anything for you?" Alex asked.

"Can you stay for a bit longer and talk to me because I can't do anything," I moaned.

"Poor you," Alex teased but he didn't leave.

We talked about a range of things from basketball to our classes to our families. It was easy to relax and the day seemed to fly by.

"Are you going to make it to class tomorrow?" he asked.

"I don't know. It depends on how I wake up feeling," I told him.

He then had to head out so I was all alone again. Unfortunately it gave me too much time to think about Tyler and what he had said last night and right now it was the last thing that I wanted to be doing.

It was different knowing for definite that Tyler still liked me. Before I could convince myself that Tyler no longer had feelings for me and I could at least try and move on but so far it hadn't worked so far.

I had been thinking for a while when I hear the door open and I knew that it was Tyler but I couldn't see him.

"Can we talk?" I asked softly.

"Fine, do you want anything first?" he asked, clearly noticing the now cold pack on my back.

"Can you heat this up again?" I asked.

He didn't say anything but I felt it being lifted off me and I then heard the beeps of the microwave. I couldn't help the moan that came out when he placed at back on me. I turned my head so I could see him and I waited for him to settle.

"What do you want to talk about?" he asked.

"I've just been thinking about what you said yesterday and I want to try again. I want to try our relationship again," I said.

I watched his face completely close up and his shoulders tighten. I waited him out because I wasn't completely sure what he was thinking.

"I don't know Ryan because I don't know if I can do it again because it's still hurting me," he admitted.

"Is there something that I can do to convince you?" I asked.

He paused and I wasn't sure what he was going say. I really liked him and I wanted a chance to get him back. I waited for him to say something because there was no point in me saying anything until he made a decision.

"I still don't know," he said softly.

"I still want us to be friends though."

He nodded slightly before standing up. I watched him move around the dorm without saying anything. It took me a couple of minutes to realise to that he was heating up one of the cans of soup that we had.

We didn't talk again until it was finished and he poured it into two bowls. Without me saying anything he then helped me carefully into a sitting position so that I was actually able to eat. Despite having broken up with me it showed that he still cared.

My back was in a lot less pain than before so I was hopeful that I would be able to make it out of bed tomorrow.

"Ryan, honestly, I don't know if we will get back together but I do want to be friends still and spend more time together," he said.

I couldn't help the smile that broke out on my face when he said that.

"I'd like that a lot," I smiled.

I noticed that he was smiling slightly as well and we talked a little bit as we ate, mostly around neutral topics like basketball and our upcoming classes. I had forgotten how nice it was to spend time with Tyler and I felt myself relaxing.

I didn't even realise how late it was getting until Tyler stood up and moved across the room.

"I'm going to bed. Do you want anything done?" he asked.

I managed to get out of bed without any help and completed my night routines without too much pain so that was a positive. I didn't really want to go back to bed because that was where I had been all day but I had to go and sleep.

By the time that I was in bed Tyler was already in his and fast asleep by the looks of it. I felt myself more relaxed around Tyler and it was so much better now that we were friends again. I just hoped that he might forgive me at some point.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One