Chapter 59

Ryan's POV

James and Tyler decided to meet up before the game since both teams were in Glendale a couple of days before the game and it was easier because depending on what team lost and they might leave straight after the game.

Tyler had found a small restaurant nearby the hotel to meet up and when we walked in James was already there. As soon as he saw us he stood up and hugged both us of us.

"It's so good to see guys again," he said as we sat down at the table and ordered.

"It's been a really long time," Tyler complained.

"Yeah, that's what happens when we pick colleges on opposite sides of the country," James laughed.

We then spent the next half an hour catching up on what the others had been doing. I talked to James occasionally, not as much as my other friends, but I knew that James and Tyler talked more.

"What are you doing next year?" I asked James.

"I'm going to be staying at Duke. I mean I had a good year, not as good as Tyler's, so I think that I would be better of going back for another year. I'm kind of jealous but Duke is really good."

"I'm starting to get more nervous about the draft now," Tyler admitted.

"You will be great."

We continued to talk and once we had finished talking we headed out to a local park to sit there instead. We called Jordan, Morgan and Drew who were luckily all free and answered their phones. It was almost like being back home but not quite.

"We should all meet up at home over summer," Drew suggested.

I hummed in agreement from my place on the ground between Tyler's legs. James was also nodding from his place across from us.

"I'm just not sure what my plans are going to be," Tyler said.

"Oh, shit, so you are going to declare for the draft?" Morgan asked.

Tyler told him that he was and that lead to a discussion about what that would involve.

"I mean, the draft is at the end of June. I don't know if I would be able to make it home before that but I should have time afterwards at some point," Tyler said.

"I haven't managed to find friends that are as good as you," Jordan mumbled.

"I know. It's hard since I've known you guys for so long," I added.

"It's a shame that we aren't all closer together," Morgan said.

I didn't add much more to the conversation and was content to listen to the five of my friends talk. When I closed my eyes I could imagine us all back home, at school where we would be usually sitting.

Morgan was the first one to have to hang up because he had other things to do. Drew and Jordan followed soon after leaving the three of us sitting on the grass.

"It's a shame that we don't have more time to spend together," James complained.

"We would if you had come with me to UCLA," Tyler teased as we all stood up.

I wrapped an arm around Tyler as we headed out and I listened Tyler and James catch up more and talk about basketball. I knew that they had been talking a lot but it was different being in the same place and talking in person.

Unfortunately not that long later we reached our hotel. I hugged James one more before he had to go.

"Hopefully we'll see each other soon," I told him.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see you again," he smiled.

Tyler hugged James once more and we said a final goodbye before we had to head up to our rooms. I couldn't help but notice that the two of them hung onto each other a little. I knew just how close they were growing up and it was the first time that they haven't been on the same team.

"I'll try and make it home this summer but we need to find time even if I can't," Tyler promised.

James had to head out so Tyler and I stood in front of the hotel and watched him walk away from us.

"It won't be long until we can see everyone again," I reassured him.

"I just wish I knew what I was going to be doing," he complained.

We didn't talk about it anymore as we ran through our routines throughout the afternoon. It was a late game so it didn't matter that we had spent the morning with James. Tyler and I didn't talk much as we moved around each other as we got organised and headed for the bus.

It was different seeing James on the opposite bench when we headed out onto the court. I had to look away from him because it was freaking me out.

I had done quite a lot of research about the team between doing my own schoolwork. At last the game started and once again UCLA started well. Duke was managing to keep pace but after half time UCLA pushed the petal more and Duke couldn't keep pace anymore.

With five minutes left the win was almost guarantee and I was just waiting for the time to run out now. Tyler was sitting beside me on the bench and I wished that I could grab his hand but I knew that that was a bad idea.

"One more game," I said softly.

"I know but it the biggest one," he muttered.

We didn't talk much more and at last the game came to an end. I stayed on the bench and watched Tyler search for James. They had a quick conversation but both players got called by their Coaches. James had to leave and I wished that I could go and say something because he looked devastated.

Instead I stood up and followed the rest of the team off the court. Everyone was jumping around in celebration and I stood in the tunnel and waited for Tyler come up. As soon as he did I wrapped him in a tight hug.

"I am so fucking proud of you," I told him.

"That was really cool. I'm still really nervous about the next game," he said.

The locker room was loud and I watched everyone celebrate. It would be different without Tyler on the team next year and more of team changing but I couldn't imagine not doing this.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One