Chapter 4

Tyler's POV

I noticed Ryan sitting on the side lines of the game but then I remember him saying something about doing the stats for the team. I don't really think that Coach ever uses them but I wasn't going to tell Ryan.

We were playing one of the better school teams that we face but we didn't win the State Champs last year for no reason. Our team started well and I managed to make a few points myself so we went into half time with a ten point lead.

"Your maths nerd is here," James teased.

I rolled my eyes and the rest of the team picked up what James was talking about.

"Really, I wouldn't think that someone like that would be interested in sports," Scott mocked.

I didn't say anything because I didn't know if he was actually interested in the game or if he was here just because of the stats. Luckily Coach stopped the conversation so that we could talk about the game and what we should be doing.

We came out and looked better than the first half. The game was good and the win was better. James slapped me on the back as we headed off the court after the win.

"Well done Matthews, nice game," Coach said.

I smiled brightly. I knew that I had played well, I had led all the scorers, but it was still nice to hear it from my Coach.

"You are going to do well next year," he told me.

I smiled even more as we headed back into the locker room. It was loud and everyone was talking about the game. I slowly changed out of my gear and we all headed out together.

I happened to run into Ryan as I was heading out and I stopped to talk to him.

"Hey, did you like the game?" I asked.

"Yeah, you had some good stats," he said.

I smiled slightly and had to think that my friends were right. That he liked the numbers more than he liked the game.

"Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow?" I asked.

He nodded and I heard my name being called so I said goodbye to him and followed my teammates. I turned around for a second and noticed that Ryan had already disappeared into the crowd.

"Are we going for food?" I asked James.

He nodded and we headed out together. Not all of the team was with us since some of them had other things to do but there were still a lot of us.

We headed to one of our usual places for Pizza. I took a seat in the centre of the booth and everyone else moved around to sit around me.

"Did you see one of the other team shove Blair around and not get called for it?" James complained.

"I swear that we never get the calls going the right way," Blair complained.

We all nodded as our food arrived in front of us. As we ate we continued to talk about the game and the rest of our season. I couldn't hang around for too long because I had to go home and look after my younger sister.

"I'll see you later," I said as I stood up.

My friends clapped me on the back as I headed out. I really liked the team and a lot of them I've been friends with for years as we moved through the teams and got older. I opened the door and got swamped by my sister, Lisa.

Lisa is eight and I love her to bits. I hugged Mom as she headed out.

"I'm just going out for dinner so I'll you later," she said.

"Has Lisa had dinner?" I asked.

"Not yet but there is leftovers in the fridge if you want to heat them up."

I nodded and she headed out so I lifted Lisa up onto my shoulders.

"How was your day?" I asked.

"It was lots of fun," she smiled and then started to tell me all about her day.

I laughed when need but after I had put her down on the bench I had started heating up food for Lisa to eat because I was already full. I handed her a plate once I was done and we moved into the lounge. I flicked the TV onto one of her favourite shows and we started to watch.

I wasn't particularly interesting in it but Lisa was enwrapped so I didn't change it. I slowly started to work through my homework instead. I could feel her drifting off to sleep beside me so I slowly picked her up.

"I'm not tired," she tried to protest.

"It's time for bed anyway," I told her.

She tried to run away from me but I tossed her over my shoulder and headed to her room. She slowly got ready for bed and I helped her into bed.

"Good night," I said softly.

She mumbled something but she was already drifting off to sleep. I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead and stuck out of the room so that I could continue to do my homework. I was also drifting off to sleep when I heard to door open and Mom joined me.

"How was your game?" she asked.

"It was really good and we won. Coach thinks that I could get a scholarship for next year," I added.

She smiled at that one because I knew that we wouldn't be able to afford for me to go to college. I couldn't stay awake much longer so I hugged Mom and stood up.

"I never asked, but did you find a math tutor?" she asked.

"Yeah, a guy in my year called Ryan."

"You should invite him around some time," she smiled.

I shrugged and headed into my room. I managed to do everything that I needed before I collapsed on the bed. I was tired from my game earlier and struggling through my homework. I wasn't a bad student but it would often take me longer than most people.

I drifted off to sleep easily wishing that I could just play basketball and not have to worry about school work.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One