[29] s e c r e t s

[ narrated in third person's point of view ]

They all watched in horror as she plunged her fist into her chest. She pulled out her own heart from her chest, as her hand was all bloody after that. She held her pumping heart in her hand, before slowly collapsing. 

Kaneki-kun was the first to snap out of his thoughts and caught Yami-chan in his arms before she fell to the ground. She had her eyes slightly open as she took one glance at him and gave a warm smile which she never showed for God knows how long. She could also see her life flashing before her eyes, and she thought, 'The reaper must have come to get me, huh?'

Kaneki-kun moved a strand of her hair from her face as she shut her eyes peacefully. He swallowed the lump of anger and sorrow within him. Tsukiyama-kun looked over at Toshi with rage in his eyes. Toshi was still frozen, as he managed to blink his eyes a few more times. Sweet, little Hinami-chan was frozen with fear and she blink a few tears. 

"You shall pay!" Tsukiyama-kun yelled with anger as he delivered a punch straight towards Toshi's nose. 

Toshi fell to the ground, holding his nose as he could tell it was broken already. What did he expect? It was a punch delivered with anger, pain, and sorrow. Toshi turned his head towards where Kaneki-kun pressed Yami-chan's head against his chest while his shoulders slightly shook. 

That's when Toshi snapped from his madness and widened his eyes in horror. 

"Y-Yami-chan..?" He whispered, crawling towards where Kaneki-kun was holding her lifeless body.
"Oh? You just returned back to reality now?" Tsukiyam-kun jeered, "Well sorry kid, she's gone forever." 
"Don't come near her." Kaneki-kun threatened with a piercing tone as he saw Toshi approaching closely. 
"P-please," Toshi's voice trembled, "I-I don't know what had gotten into me." 

Kaneki-kun was tired of hearing him. He stood up, lifting Yami-chan's lifeless body in bridal style. He ignored Toshi's pleas and walked out of the room.

"Let's go, Hinami-chan." Kaneki-kun spoke in a monotone voice.
"O-okay.." She whispered, following him out of the room.

"Tsukiya--" Toshi was interrupted as he received another punch in the face.
"You think this is the time where I would protect your delicate emotions?" Tsukiyama-kun jeered, "Do you have any idea how much she has suffered through all the years?! Your only brother even conned her to thinking that he was dead the whole time."
"P-please, I know--"
"What do you know? You know nothing. I can't believe that she did this for your sake."

And with that, he stormed out of the room, leaving Toshi to sob with guilt and regret.

-------------------------------------------------

FLASHBACK

"Tsukiyama-kun, promise me one thing." She spoke seriously, looking at him in the eye.
"What is it?" He asked, raising a brow.

They were sitting on a bench in the rose garden of his house. He plucked a fresh, red rose and twirled it with his fingers as he looked at her. 

"When I die, I want you to go to my apartment with my permission. Go to my room and beneath my bed, there's a wooden box. Open it and I want you to fulfill whatever has been written there." She spoke grimly. 
"Why are you thinking about death all of a sudden, mon petit chou?" He asked gently.
"Just promise me."  She intertwined her hands together.
"Fine," He replied as he tucked the rose in her silky hair, "I promise."

END OF FLASHBACK

-------------------------------------------------

Tsukiyama-kun missed her terribly. Her presence, laugh, smile, and her completely bonkers attitude plus the tea parties she would throw with him. 

But it is too late.

A week has passed after her death, and he finally built up the courage to go to her apartment. He thought about everyone else's grim expressions--Kaneki-kun was overly upset, Hinami-chan wept, and those who were not able to witness the scene were shocked and tried to brighten the mood, but it wouldn't work.

And Toshi? God knows where he went. It's not like he was his nor the group's top priority anyways. 

Tsukiyama-kun took out the spare key he had for Yami-chan's apartment. He took a deep breath and placed the key into the lock and it unlocked instantly. He stepped inside, feeling rather nostalgic. He could sense her aura still lingering somewhere. 

That's frivolous. He thought as he shook his head.

He made his way towards her room. As he did, he noticed how spotless the apartment was despite that Yami-chan wasn't here anymore. 

Who would have cleaned it? He thought, as he pushed her bedroom door open. He somehow wished that the answer would be Yami-chan herself, but the dead will always stay dead.

He approached her bed and looked underneath it. Sure enough, a wooden box was placed there and he instantly grabbed it. 

Did she predict all this to happen?  He thought. Maybe, she's not known as Mad Hatter for nothing.

He was hesitant at first, but he slowly opened the box and a piece of paper was folded neatly inside it. He unfolded it and begin to read.

Tsukiyama-kun, if you are reading this, then it is manifest that I am dead. 

I had predicted that someday I will die, so do not be surprised that I had written this letter. In fact, this isn't my point right now. My point is--somebody else will be my substitute. I have chosen her to be my next successor when I'm gone. I have chosen her because I believe she is suitable enough to handle my title. 
So please, guide her as she might be a mess here and there, but overall; I think she'll do well. Oh! And you must be depressed since I'm gone, but hey--it isn't the end of the world, so cheer up for my sake! 

P.S: The new substitute's name is Enomoto Hitomi!

"The legend of the Mad Hatter shall haunt everyone."

Hironaka Yami.

"Enomoto Hitomi..?" Tsukiyama-kun mumbled while raising a brow, "She never mentioned about her." 

Suddenly, a high pitched, singsong voice echoed the room.

"Well, I see I've got a visitor here!"

THE END OF "MAD HATTER//TOKYO GHOUL//"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N) Have you all mentally and physically prepared yourselves for the second book? It's going to be one hell of a ride! 
Please don't discard this book yet, it's not officially over. If you want to know more about the second book, please keep this book in your library as I'll post an author's note about it when it's ready! 
Thank you all for reading and supporting my story! This book has exceeded 41.3K reads and 2.6K votes!! (I think I'll cry with happiness lol)
Also, anyone got an idea what the next book should be called? I need ideas, haha 👀