Chapter 4

The next day, Lucas was in Riley and Maya's dining room flipping through a booklet of engagement rings as Maya was making her breakfast.

"Hey Maya you gotta help me pick out a ring for Riley" he said "This is really hard I can't figure this out. Should I go with Tiffany cut, Princess cut- ow paper cut!"

He put down the booklet and sucked his finger.

"Hey have you told anyone else?" she asked.

"No because I don't want Riley to find out."

"You told me."

"Yeah well, that's because I trust you, and you're my friend, plus you walked in on me while I was looking at the booklet."

"Yeah" Maya smirked "Sometimes not knocking pays off. Although I kinda wished you weren't on the toilet."

"Yeah" he agreed with a sigh.

Just then Farkle, Smackle, and Zay entered as Lucas quickly hid the booklet in his back pocket.

"Hey Lucas" Zay said as he tossed him a small package box "This came for you yesterday."

"Yesterday?" Lucas said confused "Then why didn't you give it to me then?"

"Forgot."

"Who's it from?" Smackle asked.

"Uh-" Lucas read the return address "Oh what do you know, it's from Pappy Joe."

"Pappy Joe huh?" Farkle said a bit amused "How's he doing?"

"Well he's getting older by the minute, he really close to death."

"Who's really close to death?" Riley entered from her room.

"Pappy Joe" Lucas answered "I just got this package from him."

"Oh Pappy Joe" Riley smiled "I'm gonna miss him when he dies, he was a great man."

"How old is he like a hundred?" Maya asked.

"All I know is that he's very old now" Lucas said "I mean he's been living a healthy life, and pretty soon it's gonna be time for him to go."

"So what's in the box?" Zay asked.

"Well let's see."

Lucas then started to open the box where he pulled out a letter.

"Lucas-" he read what was written on the front "Please make sure you are opening this box alone."

He then turned to everyone.

"Go away" he ordered with a smile.

Everyone sighed as they all went into Riley's room. Now alone, Lucas opened the envelope as he began to read the letter.

Lucas,

I know it's been a while since we've seen each other, and even though I'm getting old, you know that pretty soon it'll be time for me to go. But before I jump to conclusion, I just wanted to say that I am very proud of you and what you've accomplished. You've made wonderful friends, graduated from both high school and college, and not to mention that you've fallen in love with a beautiful amazing girl. Riley's one special gal, and you're lucky to have someone like her in your life, she's like your little sack of gold. And speaking of sack of gold, what you're gonna find in this package may seem very surprising, and I'm not pressuring you into anything, but it's just a little something to get you thinking. I hope I can see you and your friends again, and tell them I say howdy.

- Pappy Joe

After reading the letter, Lucas put it aside as he looked in the package and pulled out a little brown drawstring bag that felt surprisingly light. But then he felt a little item inside as he opened the bag and let the content fall into his palm, and at that point his eyes widen. The item that was in the bag was a diamond engagement ring with purple gems on the sides.

Lucas couldn't believe his eyes as he examined the ring, instead of having to go out and buy a ring, his Pappy Joe offered him one to give to Riley

"Hey can we come out now?!" he suddenly heard Zay call from Riley's room.

"Uh-" he said as he quickly put the ring back into the bag "Yeah sure!"

"Finally!" Zay exclaimed with relief as they all came out from Riley's room.

"So what did Pappy Joe send you?" Riley asked.

"Oh uh-" Lucas said while thinking of an excuse "He just sent me a letter, and uh, another sack of gold."

"Real gold this time?" her eyes widen.

"No, uh- just gum."

"Oh."

"But uh, Pappy Joe wanted me to tell you guys that he said howdy."

"Well howdy back" Smackle smiled in a country accent.

"Well I gotta get to work" Riley announced "You all should too."

"Work!" everyone gasped as they quickly ran out, leaving Lucas and Maya alone.

"They actually forgot to go to work huh?" Maya said amused "Wow."

"Maya don't you have to go to work?" Lucas asked.

"I don't go to work until 12" she replied "That way I avoid that crazy drunk guy that always passes the road every morning."

"He's still doing that?"

"Well he's not stopping."

"Oh uh, can I show you something?"

After making sure no one was around, he held up the drawstring bag.

"So turns out we don't need to go buy a ring" he told her.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean we don't have to go buy one because-" he opened the bag and let the ring drop in his palm "Pappy Joe sent me one."

Maya gasped when she saw the ring.

"Oh my God" she gasped.

"I actually recognized this ring, it was my grandmother's engagement ring, I forgot that she kept it. Pappy Joe sent me this ring to give to Riley, he knows how much I love her, and thanks to him, I don't have to spend any money."

"Well thank you Pappy Joe" Maya said while still looking at the ring "It's so beautiful, I want it."

"Sorry Maya" Lucas smirked "But this ring is for the girl I love."

"How are you going to propose?"

"I don't know yet, I'll think about it. But before I do, I need to get a ring box for this."

"Can I uh- at least try it on?" she asked with a smile.

"Maya..."

"What can't the Maid of Honor try on the bride's ring to make sure it fits?"

"No."

Maya gave a pout as she stuck out her tongue.