Chapter Two

The Next Day: Day One

Bertholdt sat outside the front door of his house with his luggage by his side. In his hand, he held a mug filled with coffee. The tall male wasn't a morning person, by any means, but the coffee helped keep him awake for the most part. He yawned gently as he waited for Reiner to pick him up. Since Bertholdt wasn't a licensed driver, and his mother had to work soon, he couldn't get to Armin's on his own.

After a minute or two, Reiner pulled up to Bertholdt's house. He honked his car horn for a few seconds as the blond reached one hand back to adjust a suspicious pile of blankets.

Bertholdt glanced up to see Reiner's car pulling into the driveway. With a smile, he opened the front door to tell his mother he was leaving. This led to his mother nearly hugging and kissing her son to death. Thankfully, the tall beanpole escaped and made his way over to the car. After getting his luggage in the trunk, Bertholdt made his way over to the door of the passenger side and opened it. "Morning Reiner." He greeted his friend with an exhausted smile as he got into the vehicle. "You ready for-" He stopped suddenly when his eyes made their way to the backseat. "W-What's the pile of blankets for?"

The strong blond looked back and shrugged, "That's always been in the back of my car. You never noticed?"

"No actually, I-I haven't..." Bertholdt eyed the blankets up and down. "Are you sure that's always been back there? Every time I've been in here, that's never there."

Reiner smiled at Bertholdt and shook his head with a light laugh, "I guess you've never been observant enough. Silly Bertholdt."

Suddenly, the pile barked, causing the v-fringed male to jump a bit in surprise. He glanced over his shoulder towards the blankets, an eyebrow raised in confusion. The boy turned to look at his best friend, then looked back to the backseat. Carefully, he leaned forward and attempted to lift the blankets.

Reiner reached over and slapped Bertl's hand away, "Don't touch the pile! Nobody needs to touch the pile!"

"Ouch!" Bertholdt pulled his hand back, gently rubbing the place Reiner hit him. "H-Hey!"

The pile barked once again.

Reiner turned to the pile, "Shut up Ca-...Pile"

"A-Alright, that's it." Bertholdt lifted up the pile of blankets. His eyes widened in shock. There, in the backseat, was Captain Axel, Reiner's dog. The giant Saint Bernard was wearing a old fashioned looking dress and a bonnet on his head. The dog barked again and gave Bertholdt's cheek a friendly lick. The boy groaned gently as he wiped his cheek with his arm.

Reiner turned to face foward. "Bertholdt...meet my grandma." He said casually

The v-fringed male couldn't believe that Reiner was actually going to do this. He actually thought this was going to work. The younger of the two slowly turned his head towards his best friend. "S-Seriously?"

The blond nodded. "Seriously. Say hi to grandma."

Bertholdt returned to his seat, "R-Reiner, usually I'm okay with you doing these kinds of things..." He paused for a brief moment. "Sometimes....depending on the situation....but, w-what person would fall for that? W-We're going to get in trouble!"

Reiner shushed his friend, "As long as we act like nothing's wrong, GRANDMA can come with us."

"Reiner, we..." The boy sighed. "It's not going to work...Eren and Armin only won twelve tickets. E-Even if we could...um...take Captain Axel with us, we wouldn't be able to. We would have to leave him behind...You have to take us back to your house and drop him off."