first date [fluff]

A/N hi i suggest y'all to put begin again on repeat while reading because that's what i did while writing this xx enjoy

• • •

i checked my appearance in the long body mirror for the hundredth time in the last thirty minutes, i was nervous. i haven't been on a date in about eight months. i haven't been on a date since the break up with him.

i adjusted my dress before taking a deep breath and pulling on my high heels. i also haven't worn these in so long i'm actually surprised they still fit and look fine. he didn't like when i wore heels, it made him look shorter than me and that made him inferior i guess.

i took a huge gulp before locking up my apartment and pushing my earplugs in, and my favorite whitney houston song was the first thing that played. he would always say he didn't like this song, i would never play it when he was around. he just never got it. i just play this a lot more now that he's not around.

the walk to the cafe was a short one and my nervousness made me unsocial, all i did was listen to music that could calm my nerves. then i saw her. she was much more beautiful in person.

i like being early to places, but she beat me. she was here before me, and i saw her face light up as she spotted me. i am sure my cheeks are red and the makeup was doing nothing to hide it. she stood up from her chair and waved.

i wasn't even paying attention to walking anymore, i was just moving towards her like metal would to a magnet. she waved towards me and god, i hope i atleast smiled back.

she pulls out a chair for me to sit, chivalrous, i like it. she pushed her hair back and a smile spread on her face.

"hi." wow she sounds so good in person.

"h-hi." don't stammer taylor!!

"wow you look great- -beautiful in person." she exclaims as her eyes slowly scan me.

i fidget with my fingers before coming up with a reply to her compliment, "thanks, so do you."

he rarely complimented me, and whenever he did, it had an ulterior motive behind it. karlie seemed genuine, and it felt like she was in for the long run.

"i'm glad you're not a fifty year old married man who has alcohol issues." my weak attempt at lightening the mood was met with her laughter. her head slightly fell to the side and her beautiful hair bounced. the sound of her laughter filled the small cafe but didn't catch many people's attention.

"you're funny." another compliment.

he always said my jokes were bad and i was the most unfunny person he'd ever met. he made me believe that i had no sense of humor.

she doesn't think so.

she is so different.

and i don't even know much about her.

"what if i was fifty though?" she questions me with a tilt of her head. she has a stunning smile. it's captivating.

"i'd say you'd still be gorgeous." i'm not as nervous anymore, her presence itself has eased the environment. she is so easy to mingle with.

"oh- -um- - what if i was balding?" she tries to hide her laughter but fails at it.

"still good looking." we exchange brief smiles before she insists on getting us both coffees.