the bucket list

A/N: hi peeps, the plot for this one shot is kinda mostly inspired from one of my favourite movies new year's eve. enjoy!

• • •

"You're working on new year's eve? Are you fucking stupid?" Cath nearly screamed through the phone which made Taylor pull away from it.

"It's no big deal, I get off by four anyway. Parties don't start till like, what, seven?" Taylor tried to justify.

"It's Sunday!" Cath hissed.

Taylor's best friend was really not having it, their small bunch of friends had been planning about this day for a while now. Everything was going smoothly until this morning, Taylor woke up to a bunch of texts from her boss saying something came up and they would need her and her team to work for a bit today.

She avoided confronting Cath about it for a few hours, and was successfully rolling with it until she received a call from her fiery best friend ten minutes ago. Taylor was supposed to meet Cath thirty minutes ago, and here she was typing emails and occasionally scribbling something important and irrelevant at the same time on her notepad. Her bucket list.

Taylor sighed as she dropped the pencil. The year hadn't been the best one, she had so much planned and all she did was work. Sometimes even on weekends like she was doing now. Working in a PR firm really got to her head this year.

"Cath, I'm sorry. I'll meet you at Times Square. Have fun at Coney Island."

Cath muttered a few curses and hung up. The blonde dropped her head into her hands and took another deep breath. She was absolutely exhausted and done with everything around her. The "important" work that came up wasn't even that important. It took her roughly an hour and a half to wrap it all up. Yet she was working overtime.

Part of her was glad because she really wasn't in the best of terms with Cath lately. She often questioned how they even became friends, that if she met her in the current circumstances, would they even talk to each other.

She looked back at her notepad. '2017' it read on the top of the page, written hurriedly using a blue ball pen. She opened it to find a list of things that she thought were actually possible at one point of time, which wasn't even that long ago. Of the ten things on her list, only two had been ticked off, and they were the simplest, most basic things.

✔Get a new coffeemaker
✔Go home for Christmas
◻Go on an adventure
◻Get a haircut
◻Get the 99 cent pizza
◻Egg Dianna's house
◻Go skiing in Aspen
◻Get an expensive body massage
◻Tell Cath off
◻Kiss someone at midnight on NYE

Taylor was glad that she even got to go to Nashville for Christmas. Even if half of the time there was spent on her phone and laptop calling and emailing various people.

She didn't realise she had been staring at her list for so long until a shrill female voice called her name. She looked up from her desk to find Jane smiling at her. She was the receptionist. Poor Jane was also working on new year's eve.

"Taylor, someone's asking for you."

Taylor initially assumed it was Cath. But then again the woman was known to hold a grudge, even for small things. "Who is it?"

"Uh, the courier girl, Kloss." Jane answered her. Taylor could tell she was tired, her hair was out of place and she wore the least impressive looking skirt. Jane was usually the most presentable one around.